-ˋ 37

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THE MEETINGS BEGIN

. . .

The double doors didn't lead to the inside of a storage cupboard like the group had believed them to be. There wasn't a broom, box or bucket in sight as Dumbledore lead them in.

Instead, it was a rather big room, walls stretching in front of them and columns supporting the ceiling. Tiger assumed that, considering their conviction it had once been some form of cupboard, the room had indeed been one, but Dumbledore had been looking for some inconspicuous place to hold these meetings and enlarged it with magic. 

It was almost completely empty, except the old, spotted mirrors on one wall of the room and their reflection stared back at them. Dumbledore was looking around thoughtfully, before waving his wand and the room seemed to transform.

A lot of the empty space remained, but pushed against the back corner were sofas and armchairs, set in the walls were bookcases filled with leather-bound books and spindly instruments like the ones that appeared in Dumbledore's office. 

In the opposite corner was several metal mannequins on wheels, as well as a couple of chests, a closet and yet another bookcase. It seemed a lot less empty now, and seemed like the perfect place for them to hang out - not to practise fighting.

"Yes.. that works." Dumbledore looked around, his usual dazed, mystical look peering out of his crescent-moon spectacles. He waved his wand again and a set of armchairs appeared in the empty space. "Please, have a seat."

Glancing at each other, Sirius was the first to sit down and others followed, James sitting between Tiger and Sirius, who was sat beside Remus. Other pairings included Lily and Lydia, Alice and Frank, Dorcas and Marlene and the other people that Tiger didn't recognise.

"Now that we're all here." Dumbledore sat upon his own chair, seemingly shocked by the comfiness of it. "We can get started." He began once more. "I am unable to tell you exactly what the Order of the Phoenix is doing, but we are working towards one common goal. Defeating Voldemort." 

"I have already mentioned obliviating, however if you are going to back out of these meetings then you will also be subjected to it. Of course, no harm will be done that can't be fixed with magic, but you should all bear in mind the risks of beginning this training." Dumbledore continued on. 

"It is a matter of utmost importance that you take this seriously and prepare for what it will be like outside of Hogwarts. I invited you all to join because I believe you would be able to handle it, however it is a decision for yourselves to make."

"When you leave Hogwarts, you will no longer be safe in the confines of the castle walls. There is a silent war raging outside, and whilst deaths are few and hushed as they are placed in a column on the cover of the Daily Prophet, danger and fear are primal and run deep within the Wizarding population of Great Britain." Dumbledore took a pause, eyes no longer sparkling behind the moon glasses, and it seemed as if a rather dark rain cloud had passed in front of them.

Despite the words he was speaking being utterly terrifying, to a point that if they were anywhere else, the teens would be mumbling comments to each other, he held the group in front of his with such a rapt attention it was almost like after they had sat down they had turned into stone, the only movement the rising of their chests, eyelids fluttering every so often and a veil of goosebumps covering each of their arms.

"I have chosen each of you carefully. You all display excellent qualities that brought you to who you are today. If I believed one of you weren't up to the standards of being a member of the Order, or that you wouldn't be able to withhold the horrors that come along with it, then you wouldn't be sat before me." He began after his pause.

"Being a member of the Order will not be hard. Even as recruits, there may be things that you face that are things beyond your capacity or what you ever thought you would see. There will be death, destruction, hurt and things of terror." 

"If that is not for you, then you may leave right away. After I obliviate you, of course." Dumbledore looked around, half-expecting one of them to stand up and walk out. But nobody moved, the hushed silence still over the teens but the stone-like mannerisms halted and their heads flickered around, wondering if anyone would leave.

"That was your first mission as recruits for the Order of the Phoenix. And you all passed admirably." The old Dumbledore had returned, the silver-haired man had a twinkle in his eye as he winked at them all.

As if he hadn't just delivered them a reality check that had shocked them through to the bone.