-ˋ 84

CHAPTER EIGHTY FOUR

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH JOBS ARE SORTED

. . .

After the not particularily shocking revelation of what James thought of whilst casting his patronus, the days seemed to go quickly by. A blur of weeks and weeks, both boring and exciting lessons seemed to go by at the same quick pace.

April ended soon enough, and they were into May, and then June. And at the end of June was the end of that year. Meaning that although the days were sunny and summery, the sixth years were revising for their end of years exams.

Obviously, they weren't quite as important as their NEWTs, but as McGonagall told them, they were 'appropriate and necessary' and 'in order to check your progression and give you a sense of direction'. 

James had told Tiger multiple times about his plans to become an auror - and Tiger couldn't help but want the say for herself, it just seemed so exciting. For the Potter boy, it seemed that everyone agreed this was a good choice for him.

Everyone was really just his friends and family - but also McGonagall. Their head of house was always on their case about career interviews, and had been going on about them since they had come back from the break. Apparently it was the same in their fifth year - but Tiger hadn't had the pleasure of actually attending one yet.

That changed when the list appeared on the common room notice board. Of course, Tiger had expected to have an interview with her - she just hadn't expected to be first.

But she was, her name written neatly right at the top of the parchment, the time and date by it the very next day. The other names below all were in alphabetical order, meaning McGonagall really wanted to see her.

And so after her second lesson the next day, Tiger made her way to McGonagalls office, knocking before entering, sitting down in the somewhat plush chair in front of her desk.

The Professor didn't speak to her for a few moments, writing something down on the parchment below her angled nose, glasses perched on the end. "Miss Howell, good afternoon." McGonagall finally said, looking up.

"Good afternoon Professor." Tiger replied, watching as the teacher gathered a few sheets of parchment, reading them before looking back to the girl.

"You're studying Potions, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Care Of Magical Creatures and Charms, correct?" The woman asked. 

"Yes." Tiger nodded.

"As you haven't been here at Hogwarts since the beginning, I asked your professors to put together a small summary of how they think you're doing in their lessons." McGonagall shuffled her paper for a moment, bringing a few sheets to the front, leaning forward slightly. "Have you considered what career you will be going into?"

"Not really... James said he fancied being an auror. It sounds cool." Tiger said, crossing her legs and trying to get comfortable in the chair. 

"So an auror." McGonagall repeated, writing it down on another sheet of paper. "You certainly have the talent for it - but are you sure that you're actually willing to go through the training - it is difficult and intensive. You actually want to do it, not just because your boyfriend finds it 'cool'." McGonagall rose an eyebrow, peering down at Tiger.

"I didn't know you knew professor!" Tiger exclaimed, sitting up with a smile. "But yes, I'm sure. I read the little pamphlet thingy James got last year plenty of times - he keeps it in his bedside table at all times."

"Thank you, Miss Howell, but I am sure that Mr Potter would rather you didn't inform me of the whereabouts of his pamphlets." McGonagall said, and Tiger would have once blushed - but she had spent far too long with the group of boys at this point that she could talk with the teachers - or anyone - like that.

"Oh he doesn't mind." Tiger shrugged. "But I do think it's interesting and something which I hope I would be good at. It's just an added bonus that it's cool." 

"In that case, why don't I give you your own pamphlet. I'll mark you down for a possible auror career. And just so you know, I believe that you are certainly well on the way, as long as you keep working as you are." Professor McGonagall said. "You may go."

"Thank you Professor." Tiger said, standing up. She was half way through the door before she was swapped.

"Also, Miss Howell." Professor McGonagall quickly said. "Here's a pamphlet for an extra-curriculur Alchemy class offered here at Hogwarts. You don't havve to do an exam on it, but it will be on your credentials alongside your various grades. Professor Slughorn asked me to give it to you."

"Thank you." Tiger took it, tucking it into her bag, before disappearing. Talking of Slughorn, his party had been moved to the second-to-last week of term rather than mid-april, like it should have been.

Meaning that he would be wanting to talk to her about the course. Which, of course, would be extremely fun for Tiger.