-ˋ 29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH HE TELLS

. . .

"So he sneaks up on you, stops you from falling in the mud, almost falls in the mud himself, gets you to agree to talk, then finds out about Olivia and disappears?" James asked, arm around his girlfriend's shoulders.

Tiger had met up with him following him getting changed - he was last out of the changing rooms, having lost his glasses mid-way through and not even thinking to ask anyone before they left.

The Howell girl had ended up getting somewhat worried and went in to check on him in case he got hurt. He hadn't, just become practically blind for a while. 

"Well, sure, I guess." Tiger shrugged. "He mentioned that you seemed rather overprotective, and I of course defended you, saying that you had reasons, considering everything."

"And then you told him about Olivia." James nodded, and as they reached the stairs up into the castle, he removed his arm from her shoulders, placing a hand on either side of her waist and lifting her up the two stone steps.

Tiger let out a squeal as her feat let the ground, only to find herself standing just a moment later above James, looking down at him, hands placed on each of his shoulders for balance. "What are you doing, Potter?"

"Having a little fun. You looked tense." James lied straight through his teeth. Tiger had seemed far more confused than tense, and the Potter boy had found himself in quite the playful mood after his Quidditch practise.

"Maybe we could.. skip dinner?" Tiger suggested, a tiny smirk appearing on her lips, the corners turning upwards. "And then go to the kitchens and get food. I'm sure the house-elves would be more than happy to get a visited from their beloved Mr James." 

"I'm sure they would." James nodded, one of Tiger's hands that had balanced her on his shoulders travelling down to take his hand, fingers intertwining as she pulled them forward, taking off at a run down the long corridor. 

They made their way all the way to the Entrance Hall, just about to pass the massive wooden doors that seperated the couple from the students within, eating to their hearts content, when they were forced to a stop.

"Ain't you two supposed to be in there?" Filch jerked a weathered thumb towards the hall. "Utterly despicable.. if I were in charge you'd be hanging in the dungeon by your-"

"We were at the Quidditch pitch. I'm the Quidditch captain." James butted in, Tiger glancing up at him with disappointment in her eyes. He could only shrug. "Let's go Tiger, we should eat."

"Not so fast Mr Potter. Miss Howell has been asked to go up to Headmaster Dumbledore's office." Filch smirked. "What have you done, eh? Must be some trouble."

Tiger stared up at James, who was completely clueless. But after a few moments of standing there, and glancing down the middle aisle in the Great Hall, eyes landing upon the teachers' table, realisation flickered in her eyes.

"What? Why do you have to go?" James asked, recognising the look on her face, but not enjoying the tired look that appeared moments later.

"Leo." Tiger said simply. "You go eat James, I'll be back whenever." 

Tiger didn't go up to Dumbledore's office quietly, trailing behind Filch, shoes stomping along on the steps and echoing in the halls. Reaching the Gargoyle statue Filch muttered the passwored up into Dumbledore's office, not following Tiger up.

It was fair to say that the Howell girl was annoyed. By getting Dumbledore and McGonagall involved, this was blowing up the whole situation. Making a whole lot of mess that she would mostly be involved in cleaning up.

She knocked briefly on the office door, not waiting for an answer as she pushed it open. Dumbledore was sat by his desk, head resting in hands. McGonagall was doing this extremely out of character hovering-thing by the Headmaster's shoulder, and sat in front of them both was Leo.

"Good evening, Professors." The girl smiled, but it broke almost instantly as she looked at Leo, throwing a rather scathing look his way. 

"Thank you for coming, Miss Howell. I apologise that this is making you miss your dinner." Dumbledore began.

"No worries, I wasn't that hungry anyway." Tiger shrugged it off, folding her hands in her lap and twisting the bracelet on her wrist.

"Miss Howell, who is the boy sitting next to you?" McGonagall asked, and her and Dumbledore stared at her, as if waiting some answer that made her seem as if she had forgotten just who Leo was after the accident had happened.

"That, Professors, is Luke. He met my friend Marlene McKinnon during the Easter Holidays, then began to date her in the summer holidays. He then came to Hogwarts in September. Not as Luke. But as Leo, my ex boyfriend - my supposedly very dead boyfriend." 

Tiger sat back in her seat with her sigh, moving so that her legs were crossed and her arms folded across her chest. She was quite sure that this discussion was going to end up rather long and boring.  

And she was right.