-ˋ 74

CHAPTER SEVENTY FOUR

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH IT'S OFFICIAL

. . .

"Petunia Evans is the most stuck up, jealous little bitch I have ever met." Tiger seethed, before pausing, looking less angry for a moment. "Actually maybe not more than Olivia, but she's up there." The girl reconsidered, and beside her, James chuckled. 

James and Tiger had stayed for dinner, where they had experienced more of Petunia's distasteful behaviour, Tiger growing more and more angry as each occurence passed, practically shaking as dessert was finished. 

It wasn't long after that that the pair decided that it was time to leave - it was nearing nine o'clock, and the bus they needed to be on left at half-past. 

Tiger hadn't even managed to get five doors down from the Evans' household before she let the anger out, James laughing beside her. "She is!" Tiger insisted. "The woman is so clearly jealous of Lily. Poor Lils, I'm so glad that I don't have an older sister that hated me." 

"Are you going to see Tilly any time soon?" James asked. "Wrong time, I know, but I'm just curious."

"I don't know. Dad hasn't really spoken to me a lot, I suppose he's busy trying to sort things out with my mum. Last thing I heard was that he asked his mum and dad to look after her for a while." Tiger shrugged, and James frowned, moving closer to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders briefly. 

They walked down the streets of Cokeworth, passing groups of people, passing under streetlights as they made their way back to the bus stop, so they could return to the Potter household. 

James, forever messing around, purposefully walked closer the edge of the pavement, dragging Tiger along with him. It took her a few moments to realise where he was doing, but sighing, she just let him do it. 

Approaching a lamppost, James walked so that it passed through the middle of them, slipping down so that he was holding her hand. As gently as it could be, their interlocked hands hit the lamppost, causing them to swing round either side. 

"Fancy meeting you here." James commented, so casually it was as if he hadn't planned the entire thing. Tiger rolled her eyes, but a smile was clear on her face. Smirking, James placed a quick kiss on her lips, before she shook her head, letting go of his hand and continuing on.

"You know you introduced me as your boyfriend back there." James said casually, kicking a stone across the street. Tiger froze for a moment, before continuing walking, face ablaze.

"I did?" She stuttered, a shade of red dusting over her cheeks, as she remembered just when she had said it. 

"When you were at the door with Mrs Evans." He continued, oblivious to the fact that Tiger was just bluffing, trying to not face the situation. James glanced at the girl, who was determinedly staring at the ground. 

He chuckled, slowing to walk in step with her, nudging her gently with his elbow. "Do you want me to be your boyfriend?" He asked gently, and Tiger glanced up at him, before quickly looking down again, a blush so clear on her face even in the dim light of the streetlamps. 

"Maybe." She squeaked and James laughed, reaching over and ruffling the girl's hair. "Do you want to be my boyfriend, even after everything?" Tiger replied, and James pretended to look as if he was considering it for a minute. "You're mean." She said, and James laughed once again. 

"Of course I do, idiot." James told her. "I've had plenty of time to get rid of you after everything, but no." He said, rolling his eyes and acting annoyed. Tiger smiled, shaking her head. 

"Tiger, I have a picture of you next to my bed, my parents are practically obssesed with you. I wear the clothes you've made me - even some of your clothes, you can literally take any of mine. Hell - we've even gotten arrested together." James chuckled to himself, Tiger gazing up at him like she had never heard something so ridiculous. 

"James Potter you absolute bastard." She said, out of pure disbelief. James stared at her for a moment, watching as the girl smiled, shaking her head. 

"Are you going to explain what that means?" James asked, and Tiger blinked, once, twice, before shaking her head and skipping forwards, leaving James walking a slow pace behind her. 

He stared after her, awe and wonder as the girl continued on. How on earth it had progressed from a summer garden part to this, he didn't know, but heh was so grateful that it happened. 

"So is that a yes?" He shouted after her, and Tiger slowed down, finally stopping and turning around, looking confused - her face illuminated by a streetlight. 

"A yes to what, exactly?" She questioned him, tilting her head in a manner that insinuated that she knew exactly what James was talking about. 

"Tiger Howell, will you be my girlfriend?" James half-yelled, as he approached her. A smile on her face that if the streetlight wasn't there, the Potter boy was sure could illuminate the entire street, Tiger nodded. 

"Of course I will, idiot." She told him, and waiting for him, James caught up with her, hands connecting between them. "Look at us, boyfriend and girlfriend. It's like we're growing up." Tiger said, hands swinging between them slowing to a stop.

"Never say that to me again. I refuse." James said, looking stubborn as Tiger stared at him, laughing. 

"James, you're seventeen." Tiger giggled as her boyfriend began humming to himself, trying to block her out. Under the streetlamp, Tiger glanced down at their intertwined hands, and gaspedd as she saw the face of James's watch. 

"We're going to be late for the bus." Tiger swore under her breath, and James glanced at her, before taking off at a run, pulling her behind him. The girl, who wasn't so fast, laughed. 

The both of them were just so of them. It was a beautiful sight, on that evening on Cokesworth. Anyone who passed saw a couple so clearly in love it was almost sickening. 

But that's just how they were, and pretty much how they had always been.