˗ˋ 26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH JAMES KNOWS EVERYTHING

. . .

"Good afternoon everyone." Slughorn announced and continued to babble on as the sixth years settled down for class. It was the final lesson on the Friday of that week, and as most last lessons of the week, the class was restless.

Constantly mumbling and whispering amongst themselves, Slughorn did his best to teach - although having to start everything again when three boys crashed through the door.

"You're late, boys." Slughorn said, with an air of giving up, having experienced this very scene too many times to count. "Hurry up and sit down then." He sighed, pausing and waiting for them to do so.

James swung into the stool next to Tiger, whilst Sirius and Peter sat opposite them. The night before had been a full moon, and whilst the four anamagi were fine after drinking one of the small bottles of a blue-coloured potion designed for waking one up, Remus was confined to the hospital wing for at least the remainder of the day.

"Well, I wasn't expecting you to show up." Tiger yawned, as each of the boys scrambled to get their books and a page of parchment out of their bags. Stealing the bottle of ink Tiger had by her, James quickly scribbled down the date, before peering over the girl's shoulder and copying her notes.

"Well Peter here heard we were doing amortentia today." Sirius started, a smirk flickering onto his lips. "James here wanted to come and check it out."

"Well, I'm afraid we're not. Draught of Living Death." Tiger pointed at the book in front of her, which was open at the contents. "We're following the order of the book, for whatever reason I don't know. At this rate we won't be doing amortentia until we get back from Christmas, at least."

"Prongs." Sirius and Peter groaned, caused everyone, including Slughorn to look over.

"Yes, Mr Potter." Professor Slughorn raised an eyebrow, looking over at the table the four were sat on. "I see you wouldn't mind answering my question?"

"No sir." James blushed, his eyes flickering over to the potion, then Slughorn, and finally down to his hastily written - barely legible handwriting.

"Well?" Slughorn asked, staring at the boy, who kept glancing down at his notes. Then he felt a prick on his hand and looked over, to see that Tiger was lightly writing the answer on his hand, the dark ink staining easily.

"Sloth brain, sir." James finally said, after a few moments and Slughorn narrowed his eyes, but the Potter boy was too quick and already had his hand hidden under the table.

Not being able to fault him, Slughorn continued, explaining whatever he had written on the board. "I thought you were supposed to be good at potions, Mr Sleakeazy." Tiger tapped James on the nose with the tip of her quill.

"I didn't even hear the question, my dearest Tiger." James retorted, as the girl used the feather to tickle his chin, causing him to descend into laughter, covering it with a coughing fit.

The lesson continued, and soon Slughorn had ordered them to pair up and prepare the potion themselves. With their sleeves rolled up, and James helping Tiger tie her hair back, they began.