-ˋ 31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY'RE EXCUSED

. . .

"Mr Potter, what is your take on the matter?" Dumbledore's voice carried airily over the group. James's head shot up, as did Leo and Tiger's, moving across to look at the boy.

The discussion had run well over the time that dinner was taking place, and if James was truly honest, a lot of what he had thought of was going down to the kitchen and getting some treacle tart - just something actually substantial, not just the shortbread that came with the tea the house elf brought. 

"Me?" James's eyes widened as he looked around. They had spoken for at least an hour on the matter; Dumbledore asking Leo to tell his side of the story before turning to Tiger.

McGonagall had watched with an expression of hardened worry on her face. She had no children of her own, and despite the amount of times that she had the Potter boy serve detention, he and the rest of the Gryffindor students were almost like her children. The group of seventh years had become the ones who she was not looking forward to see leave - but it did get rid of a seemingly permanent headache. 

"Yes, Mr Potter, you. I would ask Professor McGonagall, but it seems her opinion is rather clear. James, what do you make of the situation?" Dumbledore asked.

"I think perhaps you're asking the wrong person." James shrugged. "I'm not the right person to ask. Tiger was under the impression he had died and it seemed that Leo isn't the main person to blame for her getting that idea."

"You are, of course, correct. Deep down at the bottom of this, Leo isn't at fault. Instead, his parents." McGonagall spoke up. "Albus, perhaps it's better to let them go and spend their evenings as they please."

"Minerva, this is a pressing matter. Mr Buckley's parents have committed several crimes. I'm sure you understand the severity of the situation." Dumbledore replied calmly. "It is perhaps better to sort this quickly, so not to cause too much distraction to their studies and not harm Miss Howell in anyway." 

"Albus. They need food in their stomachs and a good night of sleep. None of them are going to disappear in the night. Neither is this problem. James, Tiger, you are free to leave." McGonagall looked towards the two Gryffindor students. "Mr Buckley, you can do the same."

Tiger and James glanced at each other, before getting up out of their seats and slinking towards the door. This, probably, was their only chance of getting out until much later. Leo wasn't as well versed on the ins and outs of the school, but followed after them.

The Gryffindors slipped out of the door, Tiger propping it open as Leo moved out. "Albus - the problem won't run away if we let it rest it's head for a few hours." McGonagall was snapping, and Leo glanced back, leaning back on his heels to try and see in. 

Tiger promptly moved her hand off of the door, any sense of smile disappearing as the door slammed, Leo moving his head back just in time. "Don't just gawp at me like the inconsiderate twat you are. You heard McGonagall, we're going to bed."

"Actually Twigs-" James began, before catching her eye and nodding discreetly - she already knew what he was about to say about them going down to the kitchens. 

"You can't seriously be mad at me Tiger - come one." Leo protested, the girl rolling her eyes and beginning down the stairs. James held up his hand silently, gesturing for him to go first, and so James was the last to descend.

"Oh I am very serious Leo. I had decided to make my life easier and not involve the teachers. I was just going to act as if it all hadn't happened, so that I could get past it." Tiger snapped. "I was just going to go about my life and try to live happily. I was going to let it slide that your parents fake killed you. Surely that was a much better idea than what you had in mind?"

"But that's not fair? How can you just give up like that? Let my parents have their way with whatever strange plan they had to get me out of there? God Tiger - how can you let them do it?" Leo seemed so confused by what she was saying. "Don't you see how unfair it is?"

"Leo, your parents can do what they want. Want to fake kill their child? They can go right ahead. I've had enough. I just want to live as normally as I can - and I learnt a long time ago that life isn't fair and that you should just play whatever cards you get. It's not a game were you have hidden guides of how to perfectly make your way through. It's so much harsher, and quite frankly, I'm looking for any way to make my life easier. So I've decided to hell with it! If your parents want tto kill you again, then they can go ahead." Tiger shrugged. "I've had enough, I don't want to deal with this anymore."

And as they reached the bottom of the staircase, emerging out of the gargoyle statue, Tiger stalked off in one direction. Leo looked somewhat helplessly at James, who only shrugged.

"You heard the little lady. She's had enough. And I suggest you avoid the kitchens and Gryffindor dorms tonight." James advised.

And with that, he left Leo beeside the statue, running after his girlfriend.