-ˋ 50

CHAPTER FIFTY

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH IT'S BACK TO THE USUAL

. . .

"Bombarda Maxima!" At the end of the room, a bang could be heard that would have easily echoed through the rest of the castle if it hadn't been for their magically reinforced walls.

The train journey back to Hogwarts had been filled with laughter and sweets - half the Honeydukes trolley had been purchased and dragged into the compartment, not only shared between James, Tiger, Remus, Sirius and Peter, but they had also managed to squeeze Marlene, Lily, Lydia and a very happy-looking Dorcas right in beside the McKinnon girl.

The welcome-back feast had come and gone in golden platters of vibrantly coloured food and cherry flavoured drinks, and a return to the normalcy of classes was welcome.

There hadn't even been a pause between the return to their timetable and the meetings. Dumbledore had only arrived for the first one, the students within taking it into their own hands to organise meetings throughout the week. 

And that seemed to be the best idea. Time was flying by, as much as they wanted to admit it or not. But teachers were talking about exams, calling for meetings with students about careers for the last time, or reassuring them that just because they got a simple charm wrong they wouldn't fail their entire NEWT exam.,

The Christmas holidays apparently acted as a marker for many of the students, who came to realise that at some point in that year - the end of June - they would be graduating from Hogwarts and moving on in their lives. 

To some, that seemed like a natural part of life, the next part in their inevitable journey. And then there were those who were just a little too fond of the castle and weren't looking forward to leaving in the slightest.

Tiger was a part of that number.

And so, she was clinging on to every day as it went by, staying out far too late into the night and evading being caught by prefects or teachers, often dragging James with her as well as throwing herself into the practise sessions.

Because not only had the Christmas holidays been a kick in the stomach in reminder of their upcoming graduation, but forced them to see the reality of the world they would be facing. Full of dark magic, under the reign of a steadily-growing dark wizard. Which was terrifying.

So now she wanted to try even harder during the sessions, perfecting spells outside of them and spending extra hours in the magical room with James or Lydia, who was more than happy to join her.

"A lot of agression today, huh?" Sirius's eyebrows rose upwards as the end of the room filled with dust, Tiger's arm dropping to her side, spell cast. "I wouldn't want to be James when you get in a bad mood."

"I'll transfigure you into a boot, Padfoot." Tiger shook her head. "Besides, I thought we discussed this when you got all mopey, you lot are probably going to be there just as much as I am, so." 

"What's this about Sirius being mopey?" Lily asked, joining the group as they came back together. Nobody could do anything else until the mess was cleared - which the room magically did in just a few minutes, leaving them with quite some conversation time.

"Nothing really. He's just clingy as hell." Tiger joked, dodging when Sirius attempted to elbow her. "What? You know I'm right."

"James?" Marlene looked towards the Potter boy for further explanation - it was obvious they wouldn't get anything out of the bickering best friends.

"Sirius didn't realise it was a given that him, Pete and Moony would be invited over any time after we graduate. I mean come on - did he think we would lock him out?" James shook his head, affection in his eyes.

"Yeah, I even asked Euphemia to get copies of the James's set of keys whilst we're back here." Tiger nodded. "And I don't care that it's kinda strange that my boyfriend's best friends will be living with us - I've stayed in their dorm before and got through it."

"Yeah.. we thought that was a miracle." Lily nodded, before pausing midway through her action, turning towards the Howell girl. "Wait - what are you talking about?" 

"The house in Godric's Hollow? Pretty village.. me and James broke in there then were arrested?" Tiger tried to refresh their memories. "Yeah.. James bought it and gave it to me for Christmas." 

"She likes her little joke. It's ours, I gave her her set of keys for Christmas." James corrected, meeting Tiger's eyes and sticking his tongue out at her.

"Let me have my fun Prongsie. Anyone would think you're getting boring." Tiger replied, mock annoyance making her roll her eyes, very real hints of fear infiltrating her expression as James began to chase her, eventually catching up and wrapping his arms around her waist. 

A key attached to a ribbon jumped out of Tiger's collar, only solidifying the whole, slightly unbelieviable story that James Potter was growing up.

Suddenly, adult life seemed a lot more realistic to those watching.