˗ˋ 09

CHAPTER NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE FALLS FAST ASLEEP

. . .

"Hey guys." Tiger smiled, squeezing down into the space between Lydia and the arm of the sofa, stretching her legs out across the span of the sofa, the tips of her boots just reaching the other arm, if she pointed them.

"You're covered in goosebumps and shaking. It's September, Tigs, what were you thinking wearing this dress?" Lily asked, looking up from her book. "Your cheeks look like Santa's."

"Who?" Tiger asked, confusion and interest replacing any other emotion on her face. Lily just shrugged, and Tiger continued. "It's cute. And I spilt potion on my uniform in potions, so I needed to change."

"She has a point, Howell." Sirius announced. "We couldn't have you dying on us. Or getting a cold and passing it around."

"What have you done with James." Remus asked, looking down at his cousin, who had her head now resting on Lydia's shoulder, eyes closed with the girl stroking her hair with one hand and turning the page of her book with the other.

It was almost strange how close the girls had become over the past few weeks. It was true that each of them absolutely loved Tiger and her personality, and they were comfortable with each other since the first night.

It had just been them three since first year. And they each were their own element. Lily the caring, mom-like one, Marlene the likeable and friendly, Lydia the slighty ditzy, studious type. Tiger slot in like the final puzzle piece, becoming what Lydia could only describe as colourful - as in everything about her seemed so bright and energetic or sarcastic and funny.

"Hexed his broom to ship him off to Thailand, of course." Tiger's eyes flickered open. "He was just changing." She sighed. "But look, here he is now."

"My ears are burning, Twiggy." James said, having made his way through the portrait. "You willing to explain why."

"Only to tell you that Remus thought for a second that I shipped you off to somewhere in Asia." Tiger looked up at James. "You could've been a missing person, Prongsie."

"Many apologies for being here." James said, then shook his head at the sight of Tiger grinning and closing her eyes again, still lent on Lydia. The boys walked away, no doubtedly to plan something, leaving the four girls alone.

"So what's going on between you and James?" Marlene asked, not looking away from the nail she was painting. Next to her, Lily stopped reading her book, instead staring at the corner of the low table in front of the couch.

"Not much to be honest." Tiger replied, her eyes still closed. "Why, is there something happening which I should be aware of?"

"No.." Marlene trailed off, looking over to try and see Tiger's facial expressions, but they seemed to soften, and her eyes no longer flickered open every now and again, the only indicator that she was awake.

Poking Tiger's cheek, Lydia checked she was actually asleep before looking at her two best friends. "Lils." She said, and the ginger-haired girl murmured something, not looking away from her book. "Lils." Lydia repeated, and Lily finally looked at her. "Would you be ok if something happened between them?"