Chapter 8

I hoist myself up onto Striker, grabbing the reins. Quackity stands awkwardly staring at me and I tilt my head at him.

"Well? You coming then?" I ask but he just stares between me and the other horses.

"I can't... I can't ride a horse." He says awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck and adjusting his blue beanie. I roll my eyes and move further foward on my horse, making room for him.

"Come on then. You'll just have to come with me on mine." I smile and hold you my hand for him to grip.

Once he grabs a hold of my hand, I pull him onto the back of my horse and we begin moving foward. Quackity awkwardly sits behind me as we leave the stable.

"You ready?" I ask, waiting for his consent. He nods slightly, trying to hide the terrified expression on his face. "Hold on tight. You're gonna need to!"

I tug the reins and Striker begins to sprint towards the exit of Manburg. Quackity lets out a yelp behind me and throws his arms around my waist.

"Aghhh! Y/N slow down!" Quackity screams behind me but I can only laugh as Striker runs faster.

We pass by many citizens of Manburg as we rush by, through the exit and out into the large field where I used to run with Striker back in the day.

The wind blows through my hair as we rush towards the field full of flowers. "Whoooo!!!" I shout at the top of my lungs as the large horse runs around.

Slowly, we come to a stop near a small stream. Quackity lets out a breath and rolls off the horse. My eyes widen and I quickly jump off the horse to check on him.

"Quackity? Quackity!" I gently shake him. I become worried after I get no reply. I place my hands under him, rolling him over to check on him.

That's when he starts laughing.

"Oh my god! You should have seen your face!" Quackity laughs hysterically. He grips his chest from laughing too hard.

I scowl and punch him in the shoulder. "Ow! What the fuck Y/N?"

"That's what you get! I thought you were hurt!" I yell at him, a guilty expression makes it's way to his face but then he smirks.

"Awww Y/N... you do care about me." He responds and I feel my face heat up a little. No, stop! Why is my face doing that!?

"No. I just- I can't give back to Manburg with you dead can I? Schlatt would have my head on a silver platter." I use as an excuse. I don't think he bought it but he shrugs it off.

I take Striker towards the small river, allowing him to have a drink whilst I begin climbing up a tree.

"Hey where you going?!" Quackity asks but I continue climbing. "What does it look like bitch?"

"It looks like you're trying to get yourself injured." Quackity shouts back to me from the bottom of the tree. I look down at him from the top and smirk.

"Now who's the one worrying?" I sass back and look out into the distance.

Mountains and fields full of pretty flowers litter the grass and trees blow in the wind. Bees buzz and butterflies flutter around the open area like a beautiful troupe.

I hear a branch move next to me and Quackity relaxes, sitting next to me. We both stay in silence as we watch the sun set on the east side of our world.

"Quackity, do you ever feel out of place?" I ask out of the blue. He turns to me with a confused look.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean like, do you ever feel like you don't belong? Like you aren't meant for the things that life throws at you?" I continue. Quackity thinks for a second, his brown eyes catching my eyes.

"I guess. I mean, I never thought I would be where I am now. In a way I expected more than to just be Schlatt's... servant." He looks down and his voice quietens down.

My heart clenched for him. He doesn't deserve to be treated this way, even if we got off on the wrong foot with each other.

"Yeah... me too."

We continue staring at the sunset and once again, the sky is painted a beautiful array of oranges and yellows.

I feel Quackity shift closer to me, still being careful not to fall from the branch. Before my brain responds to the situation, I lean my head on his shoulder, feeling him tense up for a moment before relaxing.

A comforting silence washes over us. Everything in the world felt wrong, yet this felt so right. It's like two broken souls have found each other in the middle of the chaos.

A few minutes pass and the sky turns a darker blue.

"We better get going back to Manburg. The mobs will be out soon." I let Quackity know as we begin our descent down the tree.

We make our way to Striker who nuzzles me quickly before Quackity and I jump onto his back. Quackity wraps his arms around me once again and we set off into a run.

The wind brushes through my hair as we rush foward towards Manburg's lights.

We almost make it through the gate but I tug on the reigns, stopping Striker just before we enter.

"Shit, creepers." I say under my breath, jumping down from the horse, taking out my enchanted netherite sword.

"Where are you going?"

"Where do you think?" I respond, gesturing to the creepers.

I walk towards the creepers which let out a hissing sound. I swing my sword, killing one, then two, then three.

I run a hand through my hair, watching as the creepers melt away, turning into an ashy grey powder. I smile at my work, turning back to Quackity.

I'm about to walk away when I hear another hissing sound.

But I'm too late.

"Y/N!"