36. The mud sandwich

Aditi's point of view

I was biting my lower lip to calm down the nervous which is building inside me. Dhruv was reading the report which I made on our last visit to the near by Village and Dhruv asked me to made the report on their problems and solutions of them. Though my report was not the final but he wants me do it for my experience. The last report I submitted to him, he was not very much pleasant of that as I miss many important points in them. He guided me with the reports and asked Shastri ji to help me.

I tried to read Dhruv's expression but they were blank. Shastri ji was looking nervous like me because he is the one who helped me in this report. It's a question of Shastri ji reputation in front of Dhruv. I think he is more nervous than me. Shastri ji took out handkerchief from his trousers and wiped off the sweat from his forehead even though, the A.C. was on full.

I looked at Dhruv and now he was looking at me with his bossy face. He leaned back to his chair and keep looking at me like that, giving a shivers to me.

Even though he himself asked me to be my friend then why so bossy man?

Soon his lips curled up and he gave me his beautiful smile.

"Report was fine. You did the great job. I may consider your report as the final one." He said with same smile and relief washed over me. I saw Shastri ji also took a relief breath.

I looked at Dhruv in confusion when he started finding something on his table.

"What happened sir?" Shastri ji asked him.

"I don't know Shastri ji but I lost my pen a lot now days." He said while keep looking for his pen between the files and pages and I stopped biting my lips and looked at him with wide eyes.

I don't know that Dhruv is very considered for his pens.

I think this is the time to tell him, I was the one who was stealing his pen from his cabin. I took a deep breath to get some courage to confess my sins.

"I'm sorry, I was the one who was taking your pens. You can take it back." I looked down in shame and forward his pen towards him.

There was a pin drop silence in the room. No one said a single word and my heart was beating faster in nervousness. But suddenly I heard throttle laugh. Shastri ji was laughing. I looked at Dhruv and he has the smile on his face. He chuckled softly while shaking his head in amusement and I can see the dimple on his right cheek.

"You know Aditi dear, What is the best thing in government offices? You get the free pens but seems like your are still unaware of that fact. Don't worry I will tell someone to get you pens so you don't have steal from Sir." Shastri ji laughed and walked out from the cabin, leaving Dhruv and me alone in the cabin and left me alone in a very embarrassing situation.

"So you are the one who was stealing my pens." He looked at me and amusement was dancing in his eyes but soon he covered it with poker face. I no more able to read his expressions.

I nodded my head and keep looking down in shame. My cheeks are red embarrassment. I could not dare to utter a word in front of him. He got up from his chair and walked to me.

"You know that stealing is a bad habit. You should ask first." His voice was heard and blank without emotions.

"I am sorry, I won't do that again." My voice was shaking and lips were querying. I was near to cry. If Dhruv shout at me I am going to cry like a baby. He never shouted on me and I don't want him to get angry with me again. We just become friends.

Suddenly I heard him laughing. I looked up and he was laughing whole heartedly.

"Oh! God look at you. You turned pale. I was just messing up with you." He said between his laugh.