So... Nice Weather We're Having Today

Annabeth stared at us for a moment, before her expression began to change into a look of calculation.

     " I knew it. I knew you weren't dead."

     She tackled both of us in a hug.

     " Yeah... um... It's really good to see you."

      I patted her on the back." Yeah, it's been an... interesting few days."

     Annabeth wrinkled her nose." Are you going to make me ask? I thought you were both dead, you butts."

     Magnus and I exchanged a look.

     " Hard to explain."

     " I guessed that much. The body is fake?" Annabeth asked." You're trying to convince everyone you both died?"

     " Err..." I cleared my throat." Something like that, not exactly that we want people to think we're dead but... uhh... it's best if they think we're dead?"

     Magnus glanced at the doorway." Wait, did you pass an el- a guy on the way in? Our friend was supposed to be keeping watch."

     " No. Nobody was out there, the front door was unlocked."

     " I should check-"

     " Whoa." Annabeth interrupted." Not until I get some answers."

     " Annabeth." I placed a hand on her shoulder." I understand you want answers, and that's reasonable, but we can't really explain. There are things happening around us- specifically Magnus- that are really dangerous. I don't want to get you involved if you don't have to."

     She crossed her arms." Too late. And I know a lot about dangerous situations."

     " Randolph almost got killed on that bridge," Magnus pointed out." I don't want anything to happen to you."

     Annabeth laughed dryly." Randolph, I swear, I'm going to shove that cane of his... Never mind. He wouldn't explain why he took you to the bridge. He kept talking about how you were in danger because of your birthday. He said he was trying to help, something about our family history-"

     " He told me about my- Willow and my's father."

     " You never knew your dad," Annabeth said as her eyes darkened.

     " Yeah, but apparently... Look, it would sound crazy. Just... there's a connection between what happened on the bridge and what happened to our mom two years ago, and- and who our father is."

     Annabeth's eyes widened." Oh, gods..."

     Magnus and I exchanged another look at the phrase 'gods'.

     " I should've known, Randolph kept rambling about how our family was special, how we attracted attention. But I had no idea both of you... I'm sorry I didn't know sooner, I could've helped you."

     " Um, I'm not sure-"

     " My dad's flying back to California tonight after the funeral," she continued, interrupting Magnus again." I was going to catch a train for New York, but school can wait. I get it now. I can help you. I know a place where you'll be safe."

     Before either Magnus or I could respond, Hearth ran in, signing frantically.

     Hurry! Danger!

     " Who-"

     " That's our friend," Magnus quickly explained." We really have to go. Listen, Annabeth, I have to do this by myself- or with Willow, at least. It's like a personal-"

     " Quest?"

     " I was going to say pain in the- yeah, quest works. If you really want to help me, please, just pretend you didn't see me. Later, after I'm done, I'll find you, I'll explain everything, I promise. Right now, I have to go."

     " Magnus," Annabeth took a shaky breath." Both of you, I probably could help, but... recently I learned the hard way that sometimes I have to step back and let other people do their own quests, even people I care about. At least take this."

     She handed me a piece of paper, one of the 'Missing' flyers she and her father had been handing out.

     " The second number is my phone, call me. Let me know when you're okay, or if you change your mind and-"

     " I'll call." Magnus gave her a kiss on the cheek." You're the best."

     " You're still a butt."

     " I know."

     I gave my cousin a hug." Stay safe with... whatever it is that's dangerous in your life."

     " Same with you, and keep an eye on him, Magnus seems to be the same idiot I remember from when we were kids."

     I smiled slightly." He is... Bye Annabeth."

     Magnus and I ran over to Hearth, who had been waiting for us impatiently.

     " What happened? Where were you?"

     Hearth didn't answer, as he was already on the move, running towards the place we'd agreed to meet with Blitz. Just as we reached it, our Dwarf appeared.

     " Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Blitz yelled, attempting to stop Hearth from falling into the street." What happened to your eye? Did you guys find the sword?"

     " No sword," Magnus explained." Hearth's eye- I don't know, something about danger."

     Hearth clapped. Knocked out. Girl jumped from second story of funeral home, landed on me, I woke in in alley.

     " A girl in the funeral home? You don't mean Annabeth? She's our cousin."

     Not her. Other girl. She was- Hearth noticed the bag Blitz was carrying. You brought him?

     " Yeah," Blitz answered, lifting the bag." Capo's orders. First things first, Magnus, you said your cousin was at the funeral home?"

     " It's okay, Annabeth won't say anything."

     " But... another girl was there?"

     " I didn't see any other girl," I replied." But we weren't exactly trying to sneak around, she probably heard us and ran for the stairs."

     " At which point," Blitz turned to Hearth." She jumped from the second floor window, knocked you out, and got away?"

     He nodded. She had to be looking for the sword.

     " You think she found it?"

     Hearth shook his head.

     " How can you be sure?"

     Because she's right there.

     He pointed across the street, right down the road from us was the familiar headscarf worn by Samirah Al-Abbas.

A/N: Third Chapter in a row, I'm getting better at updating daily. Instead of talking your ear off for no reason ( I have nothing to really talk about) this will be the end of the Authors Note. I hope at least someone somewhat enjoyed this chapter, any to all comments from anyone about anything make my day, and just keep in mind the world is your erster.