Why Does The Sword Talk? And Does He Have To?

For Whatever Reason, Magnus decided that while we were running for our lives was the best time for a conversation.

     " A horsefly!? You can turn into a horsefly!?"

     " Now is not the time!"

     " Oh, excuse me, I should wait for the designed talk-about-turning-into-horseflies-time."

     " This way!" Blitz yelled to us, heading down an alleyway.

     Unfortunately, Hearth, being deaf and busy running for his life, could neither see nor hear what Blitz had just said, and continued down the path we'd been going.

     " Mother!" As we caught up with Blitz we saw the dwarf trapped in light." It's my mother! She wants her damnable earrings. Go! Catch up with Hearthstone! I'll meet you-"

    There was a pop, and than he was gone.

     " Did that just happen?"

     " Sam," I said," Thank you for not actually abandoning us, because I don't know how much I trust Magnus to keep us alive, and I couldn't fight off all the dwarves by myself."

     " Hey!"

     She somewhat smiled at me." You're welcome, but we've got other problems than Blitzen getting pulled to Folkvanger."

     Sam was right, of course, as soon as she said that the mob of angry dwarves who had been chasing us entered the alleyway. From somewhere behind them came Junior's voice.

     " I-" he wheezed." Kill." Another wheeze." First!"

     The crowd parted to allow him and his bodyguards to approach us. He stared at Magnus, Sam, and I, with an expression of slight confusion.

     " Where are Blitzen and the elf?" He muttered, talking more to himself than to us." Well, no matter. We'll find them. You, boy, you and your sister I don't care about so much. Run now and I might let you live. The girl is obviously a daughter of Loki. She bit me and ruined my crafting! She dies."

     Magnus and I both drew our swords.

     " Unfortunately, we work as a team," I stated, attempting to stand in front of both my brother and Sam." If you're going to try and kill Sam, you're going to have to kill both of us too."

     " Correction," Magnus said." You'll have to take on all four of us. This is Sumarbrander, the Sword of Summer, crafted by... actually, I'm not sure, but it is definitely famous among swords, and it is about to kick your collective butts."

     " Thank you," Sumarbrander replied.

    Now as much as I'd like to say I kept my composure when the sword spoke, I jumped at least a foot or two in the air at the voice, as did pretty much everyone, I was surprised Junior hadn't just died of a heart attack right then and there.

     " You can talk?" Magnus sounded just as surprised as the rest of us." I mean... of course you can talk! You have many... uhh... incredible abilities."

    " That's what I've been saying!"

     " Sumarbrander," Magnus spoke to the sword." How do you feel about taking in this mob?"

     " Sure! You want them dead, or...?"

     The crowd backed up slightly.

     " Nah, just make them go away."

     " You're no fun. Okay, then, let go."

     Magnus hesitated, something that Junior unfortunately noticed.