I Don't Know Whether To Be Disappointed Or Relieved.

After All The Stories I'd heard about Fenris Wolf I was expecting a bit more, I don't know, pizzaz, something big and intimidating that people shrink away from, not just a regular looking wolf. It was kind of pitiful, honestly.

     Magnus turned to the rest of us." Where's the real Fenris? That has to be a decoy, right?"

     " No," Sam stated." That's him, I can sense it."

     Fenris looked over in our direction, and this time I wasn't even the slightest surprised when he spoke.

     " Well, who do we have here? Have the gods send me a snack?"

     I took a step forward, approaching the edge of the Heather." My name is Willow Chase, my brother, Magnus, is here to see you."

     " Interesting," the wolf said." Two children of Frey. Vanir-Spawn have such an interesting scent. Normally I only get to devour the children of Thor, or Odin, or my old friend Tyr."

     I froze slightly, worried I might've accidentally just led T.J. into a death trap.

     Magnus took over the talking for me at my hesitation." Sorry to disappoint."

     " Oh, not at all. I'm quite pleased, I've been waiting a long time for this."

     Hearth brought his staff down onto the ground, causing the Heather around us to glow, before signing Flowers make prison. Stay within.

     " The elf is wise," Fenris chuckled." Not powerful enough, not nearly powerful enough to face me, but he is right about the Heather. I can't stand the stuff. Funny, though, how many brave mortals choose to leave its safety and come within my reach. They want to test their skill against me, or perhaps they simply want to make sure I am still bound." He looked at Blitz." Your father was one of those. A noble dwarf with the best of intentions. He approached me. He died. His bones are around here somewhere."

     Blitz yelled and went to charge forward, only to be stopped by Sam and my brother.

     " Quite sad, really," the wolf continued." Bili, was his name? He was right, of course. This ridiculous rope has been loosening for ages. At one time, I was completely unable to walk. After a few centuries, I managed to hobble. I still can't cross the heather. The farther I move from the center of the island, the more the rope tightens and the more pain I endure. But it's progress! The real breakthrough came, oh, a little over two years ago, when I finally managed to shake that curse muzzle off my snout!"

     Sam's voice spoke up from behind me." Two years ago..."

     " That's right, little sister. Surely you knew. I began whispering in the dreams of Odin, what a fine idea it would be to make you, the daughter of Loki, a Valkyrie! What a fine way to turn a potential enemy into a valuable friend."

     " No. Odin would never listen to you."

     " Would he not?" Fenris sounded like he was having a fine time taunting us." That's the wonderful thing about you so-called 'good folk'. You hear what you want to believe. You think your conscience is whispering to you when it is, perhaps, the Wolf instead. Oh you have done very well, little sister, bringing Magnus to me."

     " I didn't bring him to you!" Sam yelled, her voice echoing across the island." And I'm not your little sister!"

     " No? I smell the changeling blood in your veins. You could be powerful. You could make our father proud. Why do you fight it?"

     " Fenris," Magnus spoke up again." You sent those wolves, the night our mother died?"

     " Of course."

     " You wanted to kill me-?"

     " Now why would I want that?" the wolf replied." You were valuable to me, Magnus. But you needed... seasoning. Hardship is wonderful for cultivating power. And look! You have succeeded, the first child of Frey strong enough to find the Sword of Summer. You have brought me the means to escape these bonds at last."

     " Why kill our mother?" I asked." Why not kill me?"

     " You weren't taking care of him yet, both of you relied on your mother to survive, meaning killing her would have more of an effect, and I suppose I could have killed both of you, but think of how much more impactful it will me to kill you here, right in front of him."

     I scowled at him and drew my sword.

     Suddenly, Magnus spoke from behind me." Jack... Jack, what are you-?"

     " You see?" Fenris laughed, turning his attention back to my brother." The Sword of Summer is destined to cut these bonds. You cannot stop it. The children of Frey have never been fighters, Magnus Chase. You can't hope to control the blade, much less fight me with it. Your usefulness is at an end. Surt will arrive soon. The blade will fly into his hand."

     " Mistake," Jack said." Mistake to bring me here."

     " Yes, yes it was my fine blade. Surt thinks all of this was his idea, you understand? He's an imperfect tool. Like most fire giants, he's a lot of hot air, more bluster than brains, but he will serve his purpose. He'll be very happy to take possession of you."

     " Jack," Magnus said." You're my sword now."

     " Cut the cord," Jack said." Cut the cord."

     " Do it, Magnus Chase. Why wait for Surt? Cut me loose of your own free will and I will be grateful. Perhaps I would even spare you and your friends."

     Blitz pulled out the new rope." I was ready to bind this mutt, now I think I might just strangle him."

     " I agree," Sam stated." He dies."

     Look. At the sound ( if you could even call it that) I turned around to look at the source of the sound which, to my surprise, was Hearthstone. The bones.

     Magnus looked at the wolf." I'm not freeing you. And I don't need to fight you. We'll wait for Surt. We'll stop him."

     " Oh, too late for that. You don't need to fight me? Poor mortal, I don't need to fight you either. There are others that do that for me. As I said, good folk are so easy to manipulate, so ready to do my work for me. Here are some now!"

     " STOP!"

     We all turned towards Gunilla, the source of the yell, accompanied by two other valkyries and our einherjar hallmates.

     " Caught in the act of aiding the enemy," the Valkyrie captain said." You've signed your own death warrants."

A/N: In case anyone is wondering, the image of the sword above/ to the side/ where ever the picture will appear is what I picture Willow's blade looking like, probably changed into that form due to glamor, rather than just being a plain Valhalla issue sword. I hope at least someone somewhat enjoyed this chapter, any to all comments from anyone about anything make my day, and just keep in mind the world is your erster.