I Think I've Found My Favorite Norse God.

It took a few seconds for the words to sink in. Even then, I kept looking back and forth between Blitzen and Freya, trying to spot the family resemblance.

     " Wait... You- Blitzen- Mom!?" Magnus sounded as surprised as I felt.

     Freya smiled." I suppose my son didn't tell you? He's quite modest. Blitzen, dear, you look very nice, but could you straighten your collar?"

     Blitz did so, muttering to himself." Been a little busy running for my life."

     " And dear, are you sure about the vest?"

     " Yes, mom. I'm sure about the vest. Vest's are making a comeback."

     " Well, I suppose you know best." Freya turned to my brother and me." Blitzen is a genius with fabrics and fashion. The other dwarves don't appreciate his expertise, but I think it's marvelous. He wants to open his own-"

     " Anyway," Blitz interrupted." We're on this quest..."

     " I know! It's very exciting. You're trying to get to Nidavellir to find out more about the rope Gleipnir. And so, naturally, the World Tree directed you first to me."

     " So, Lady Freya," Magnus spoke up." Can you help us?"

     " Of course!" The goddess beamed." More importantly, you can help me."

     " Here we go."

     " Son, be polite. First, Magnus, how are you faring with your sword."

     My brother was silent for a second, before pulling off his pendant as the Sword of Summer formed in his hand.

     " I haven't had much time to use it," he explained." Just got it back from Ran."

     " Yes, I know," Freya wrinkled her nose." And you delivered an apple to Utgard-Loki in exchange. Perhaps not the wisest move, but I won't criticize your choices."

     " You just did," Blitz pointed out.

     Freya ignored him." At least you didn't promise me to Utgard-Loki, usually, when giants make demands, they want apples and my hand in marriage. It gets very tiresome."

     " So anyway, I haven't really killed anything yet with the eyebrow- I mean sword."

     " Killed anything with it? Oh dear, that's the least of its powers. Your first task is to befriend the sword, have you done this?"

     I raised an eyebrow before turning to my brother as if to ask 'Yeah Magnus, did you befriend the magic sword?'

     He hadn't, if he had, he wouldn't have had to ask," How do I befriend a sword?"

     " Ah, well, if you have to ask..."

     " Look, Aunt Freya," Magnus interjected before she could continue." Couldn't I just give the sword to you for safekeeping? It's a Vanir weapon, you're Freya's sister, you've got a few hundred thousand well armored, laid-back warriors to guard it from Surt-"

     " Oh, no, the sword is already in your hands, Magnus. You summoned it from the river, you have laid claim to it. Not even Willow can weild it. The best we can hope for is that Sumarbrander, the Sword of Summer, will allow you to use it. Keeping it from Surt is your job now, as long as you can manage to stay alive."

     " I hate my job."

     " Don't say that, kid," Blitz spoke up." You'll offend the blade."