That Took One Day Longer Then It Should've.

Alderman was waiting when we returned. By the time Hearth, Magnus, and I got back to the house, the older elf was already there, pacing back and forth, with Inge standing a little ways away.

     " Where have you-" he began, before noticing our poor condition, all covered with leaves and twigs as if the trees had decided to give us a makeover.

     Hearth dropped the sack of gold. Payment.

     " Payment?" Alderman asked, seeming to show genuine emotion for once." But how-?"

     " That's a bit of a long story," I answered." But we do have the payment. It should be enough for the wergild. Come on, the sooner we cover the rug, the sooner we can take care of your publicity event, and the sooner we can get back to doing the other things we need to be doing."

     For once, Mr. Alderman didn't seem to argue or even talk back, he simply followed us upstairs and watched as we dumped Andvari's treasure onto the rug. He then knelt down and inspected the items we'd taken from the poorly named' Careful One'.

     " There are miniature dogs and steam trains," the older elf pointed out." Why?"

     " I think, the, uhh, previous owner liked board games," my brother replied." Solid gold board games."

     " Hmm... Did you leave the property to acquire this?" Alderman asked, sounding suspicious ( which I suppose was fair, considering we did technically steal it." Because I did not give you permission-"

     " I wouldn't worry about that," I spoke up." You do own the woods behind the house, so thus we didn't leave your property. We've finished one half of the deal, Hearthstone has completed his wergild."

     " I will be the judge! This is about responsibility, something you younger folks do not understand."

     " You want Hearthstone to fail, don't you?" Magnus accused.

     " I expect him to fail," the older elf shot back." There is a difference. This boy earned his punishment. I am not convinced he has the potential to pay it off."

     Hearth seemed unaffected by his father's words. Calm. Ready with the ring.

     Alderman searched the rug for a while, before finally crying," Aha!"

     He pointed at a single blue hair.

     " Oh come on, that'll just take a minor adjustment," Magnus said, walking over and shifting some of the gold over, but another hair popped up from where he'd taken the gold, still he didn't give up." This is no problem, let me get out my sword. Or if you have a pair of scissors-"

     " The debt is not paid!" Alderman interrupted." Unless you can cover that last hair right now, with more gold, I am going to charge you for disappointing me and wasting my time. Say, half this treasure."

     I almost punched him right then and there.

     Hearth looked at my brother and me. The ring.

     Magnus seemed to debate it for a moment, before reaching into his pocket and pulling out Andvari's ring.

     Alderman's eyes widened at the sight." Very well, place it on the pile."

     Father. Hearthstone interjected. Warning, the ring is cursed.

     " I will not listen to your hand gestures!"

     " You know what he's saying," Magnus stated" This thing taints whoever owns it. It'll ruin you. Heck, I've only had it for a few minutes and it's already messing with my mind. Take the gold that's already on the rug. Call the debt paid. Show some forgiveness, and we'll return this ring to its previous owner."

     " Forgiveness?" Alderman laughed." What can I buy with forgiveness? Will it bring Andiron back to me?"

     Curse of F-A-F-N-I-R. Hearthstone warned. Do not. Please.

     Alderman glared at his son for a moment before he responded." No. Pay the wergild or stay in my debt, all of you."

     Hearth bowed his head, before gesturing for Magnus to hand the ring over.

     " First the Skofnung Stone," my brother demanded." Let me see that you're keeping your side of the bargain."

     Alderman didn't seem to like this deal, but he agreed." Inge, bring the Skofnung Stone from its case. The code is Greta."

     The hulder left the room, and in her absence, none of us spoke, nor really moved ( I was pretty sure I didn't even blink based on how dry my eyes felt by the time she returned). Inge came back into the room carrying a bluish-grey stone and handed it to Mr. Alderman.

     The older elf handed it to Hearth." I give this to you freely, Hearthstone, to do with as you please. Let its power be yours. Now, the ring."

     Magnus handed over the small piece of jewelry." The deal is done."

     " Eh?" Alderman asked, staring at the ring again." Yes, yes, except for one thing. You and your sister promised me a media exposure, Magnus Chase. I have arranged a little party for tonight. Inge!"

     " Yes sir!" Inge replied." Preparations are coming along. All four hundred guests have RSVP'd."

     " Four hundred!?" Magnus repeated." How did you have time to set that up? How did you know we'd succeed?"

     " Ha!" Alderman replied." I didn't know you'd succeed, and I didn't care. I planned on arranging parties every night while the two of you stayed here, preferably forever. But since you have paid the wergild so quickly, we'll have to make tonight count. As for how, I am Alderman of House Alderman. No one would dare turn down my invitation. And now..." the older elf put on the ring before admiring it." Yes, this will look lovely with my formal attire. Hearthstone, I will expect you and your guests- Hearthstone, where are you going?"

     Hearth, now that he had the Skofnung Stone, was pulling our stone dwarf towards the bathroom, and a few moments later we heard the shower turn on.

     " I... uhh... should go help them," Magnus declared.

     I pulled out my phone." I should probably make a call."

     " What?" Alderman asked." Yes, fine. Such a lovely ring. Inge, make sure our young scoundrels are dressed appropriately for the party, and send some staff to help me with this gold. I must have every piece of treasure weighed and counted. And polished! It will look wonderful polished. And while you're at it..."

     Both Magnus and I quickly left the room, each heading out one of the two doors.

A/N: Huh... I just wrote two paragraphs ( the second and sixth to last) without even looking at my keyboard... that's kind of cool... Anyway, I hope at least someone somewhat enjoyed this chapter, any to all comments from anyone about anything make my day, and just keep in mind the world is your erster.