8

I could feel the blood pooling in my palms at my nails digging into my skin, but I didn't care

The cocky, snide tone in Emiliano's annoying ass voice was enough to trigger me alone.

Not to mention Andreas, Mateo and Car's brothers presence behind me. Their eyes practically burned through the back of my head.

When I saw them come into the courtroom my chest tightened, anticipation building in preparation for seeing Car well and safe beside them.

But when I met Andreas's guilty eyes I knew- I knew she wasn't here, nor would she be. I think my heart shrunk a little at that.

I broke eye contact quickly with them all, keeping my head straight forward, eyes staring at the wall ahead of me.

Romeo was sitting nervously beside me, and I wanted to protect him despite my still existing resentment. But he was Car's brother, who she cared for so much. If I couldn't protect Car in this moment, I would Romeo.

He wasn't going to follow through on his plan.

"Yes. In fact, there is." Emiliano says, the first thing in a whole time here that gets me to raise my head and look him dead in the eyes.

He was already looking straight at me, his face showing a picture of perfect sadness and disgust towards me, but his eyes were laughing. They were laughing with such confidence in his plan that I started to panic.

My defendant kept his cool, despite his obvious shock that there was tangible evidence to his claims, "Your honour," He addresses, "Permission to present this evidence?" He asks and the judge looks between Emiliano and him.

"Permission granted." The judge voices and Emiliano gets off the podium, walking back towards his lawyer and the table they were seated at, only to retrieve a file.

I furrow my brows, what the fuck could that be?

Emiliano hands the file to our defendant, who accepts it and immediately starts looking through it.

He was usually good at maintaining a poker face, as most lawyers should be, but I could see the slight pale of his face as he read the contents of the file.

Romeo's knee began tapping again, and I put my hand over his knee, this time more gently than the last.

I turn to look at him, and he looks back at me, worry written all over his face.

I can't help but swipe my thumb over his knee in a comforting gesture, "Don't look so guilty, huh?" I whisper lowly, and he shakes his head as if to clear his expression and nods at me, his knee now staying still under my hand.

I turn my attention back to Emiliano when he begins to talk, "As aforementioned, hospital checks were done for Carlotta for obvious reasons after her abduction. These are the results of several scans and reports of her lower body, looking for signs of sexual abuse." He says, as our defendant keeps looking through all the papers.