34

I had a pretty impressive wound, soon to be scar, on the side of my head, stretching from the outer corner of my left eye and into my hair

Romeo and Dane pulled me into the showers to clean me up, doing their best to clean up the blood in my hair.

I usually wouldn't let anyone do that shit, but my vision was dizzying and my head was pounding. Dane told me not to go to the infirmary, explaining the consequences of myself getting beat.

If I was beaten by a guard; it must've been a reason to punish me. I'd just bag myself another night or two in solitary.

That wasn't an option- not when we were so close to getting out. And besides, I couldn't leave Romeo again like that.

It was stupid of me the first time and let my anger override my rational thoughts.

"Beneventi." Danes voice calls as he approaches our table in the cafeteria, dinner in his hands. "Kosmos, what's up?" He nods.

Romeo gives him a smile, and I just nod back. He just started sitting with us, but we don't really mind. He'd been good to us and it was nice to know not everyone in this place were pussies.

Dane grimaces slightly as he sits down, narrowing his dark brown eyes on the side of my head where my cut lay.

"Shit, another one to the collection." He shakes his head. He had a similar faint scar running by his ear, disappearing under his black durag and into his hairline.

"Probably won't be the last." I mutter and see Rome grin next to me, our involvement in the Underworld promising several scars in our future.

Dane obviously doesn't know we're in a mafia and looks at us weirdly, "Weird motherfuckers." He shakes his head before nodding at Romeo, taking a spoonful of his food, "What about your scar?" He says, touching his own chin to indicate the location on Romeo's face.

Romeo's hand goes up to trace it. It was fairly small, I'm surprised Dane noticed it considering I never have.

Rome's face blanks a little, "My brother pushed me down the stairs." He says.

I grind my teeth at the mere mention of Angelo. The fucking hurt he put on his entire family is unfathomable.

"You have brothers? I thought you guys were siblings. Adopted- obviously." Dane furrows his brows whilst pointing between the two of us with his spoon.

My face remains impassive as I regard Dane, but I can see Romeo smiling widely out of the corner of my eye.

"He's my brother-in-law." I tell Dane, and Romeo's gaze snaps to mine.

Dance raises his brows in understanding and smirks, "Oh, I see." He says amused, but my face remains expressionless as I turn to a confused looking Romeo.

"But you aren't married to Car-" He begins.

"Yet." I cut him off, finally smirking at him. I shrug, "Besides, something as trivial as a legal binding doesn't dispute the fact Car is mine." I sigh, stretching my arms over my head.