14

I fake right before dribbling the ball around Romeo and running for a lay up

I jump, reaching up to the net as I flick the ball, which hits the headboard and goes straight into the hoop.

"Fuck, you said you played, not that you were good." Romeo pants behind me, the sun glaring down on us the next day.

We'd been killing time since yesterday when I spoke to officer Blake until lunchtime today, when I could access the phones and call Car.

Sweat dripped down my forehead as I breathed heavily, squinting at Romeo through the sunlight.

"You thought I was gonna be shit? Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence." I snort and he rolls his eyes.

We were the only ones on the court, though we had garnered some onlookers from the sidelines.

A lot of people didn't approach us. Turns out word spreads quickly in this place, and people know who we are.

We've gotten a lot of stares, word on the grapevine is we're both war criminals.

I laughed at that one, but I was glad it kept people away.

"Whatever." Romeo grumbles, getting into a defensive stance. "Again." He challenges and I nod, dribbling the ball from one hand to the next as I watch him, anticipating his moves.

I approach the three pointer line slowly, Romeo eyeing me as he readies for me to attack his defence.

I smirk at him and his eyes widen, realising what I'm about to do before rushing over to me.

But he's too late. I've already stopped dribbling and jumped to shoot a three pointer, the basketball gliding through the air and going through the hoop with a swish of the net.

"Fucking bastard." Romeo mutters as he bumps his shoulder with mine on the way past me.

I chuckle at his ability to be the world's sourest loser and he flips me off.

"I'll teach you." I shrug, jogging to grab the ball and he stills, raising a brow at me.

"For real?" He asks and I furrow my brows.

"Sure, why not?" I ask and his face lights up a little, "Got nothing but time right?" I say, lifting the hem of my shirt to wipe the sweat from my brow.

Inmates around the yard had already removed their shirts, the hot weather cooking us in our uniforms.

Romeo fans himself with his hand before mumbling, "Fuck it." and pulling off his own shirt, his torso glistening with sweat.

My own body is sweltering hot, begging me to rip off my shirt as well, and I consider it, but hesitate at my own insecurities.

Fuck it, I was in prison who the fuck would care.