25

My grip on the phone was frantic, hands shaking violently as I knelt beside Massimo's unmoving body

"Call the fucking ambulance Giovanni!" Lorenzo practically shouts on the other end of the line.

"I already fucking did, I'm not stupid!" I rage back, letting my anger get the better of me right now.

I put Mass in the recovery position as his body began convulsing and throwing up. Now though, he's laying completely still, save for the very short rises and falls of his chest.

I don't know which version I preferred.

"Is he breathing? Check his pulse." Lorenzo orders, sounding panicked.

I fumble to put the phone on speaker and place it down on the ground, leaning over Massimo to put my fingers on his neck, feeling for a pulse.

I hold my breath until I feel one under my fingers, beating slowly but prevalently.

I sigh a breath of relief, "Yes, yes he has a pulse."

I hear Enzo sigh on the other end of the line, and the guilt I've been harbouring for the past few months rushes over me yet again.

I had no excuses, though I believe we were all valid to be angry. Some just took it to larger extremes than others.

"I'm sorry for yelling." I tell Enzo, keeping my fingers near Massimo's pulse so I can monitor him, "I- just when I couldn't find you here, I panicked. You always know what to do and- I don't know." I shake my head, cringing at how I sound.

Lorenzo is silent, before he says, "It's okay. I should've been there. I shouldn't have left you guys with Angelo."

I begin to tell him he's wrong- that it was nowhere near his fault when he continues.

"What did Massimo take?" He says sternly and I clench my jaw, having no idea how he got a hold of the drugs in the first place.

"I don't know." I say through a clenched jaw, memories of the last time I found Massimo like this clouding my thoughts. "He's been clean for years Enzo, what the fuck changed." I strain, running a hand through my hair as I watch the rise and fall of his chest.

Massimo had a problem with drugs a couple years ago, obviously when you are a part of illegal trade, they're an easy good to come by.

I found him at a party when he was 17, overdosed and half dead. He was hospitalised for a week with our own medical team.

We cut ourselves off from our drug operations after that, never wanting Massimo- or any of us- exposed to narcotics again.

We still traded in them considering it was our biggest business venture, though we had close associates who overlooked those departments, reporting to Angelo.

Before Car came back to us, Mass asked to keep the whole ordeal on the down low. He didn't want his little sister's first impression of him to be of an addict.