31

I'm jolted awake by the loud slam of a door downstairs, and the sound of some yelling and squealing coming from downstairs

My eyes are groggy and cheeks dry from what I assumed were tears.

Fuck, I'd really cried myself to sleep-

How long have I been asleep?

I groggily grab my phone from the nightstand and see several messages from Giovanni, the time currently reading 4:02pm.

Fucking hell I'd been asleep for hours-

Car's laugh rings out from downstairs and I sigh, burying my face in my pillow as I think of my brothers.

Romeo, who is currently serving an unjust sentence in prison, Massimo, who is recovering from a fucking overdose, and Giovanni, doing everything he can to treat Mass.

And of course fucking Angelo, who has a case of being the biggest asshole on the planet. But the difference was I had no sympathy for him. None at all.

I lift my head out of my pillow to read the texts Gio had sent me over the course of 16 hours.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Send me the recording when u can bro.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Made it to the hospital.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Mass is resting, on a drip and currently comatose.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Police are talking with Angelo rn.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Just spoke with the police, I need that recording.

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

U okay?

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Don't let ur grandad ass be falling asleep on me now man

Mediocre sibling (Car is no.1 obvs💅):

Call me when you can.

I can't help but crack a small smile at the contact name, which Car had obviously put in, somehow having gotten a hold of my phone all those months ago.

I immediately called Gio's number, feeling bad at my long sleep but to be honest, I was exhausted.

Physically and mentally.

He picks up on the third ring, "Fuck, I was worried for a minute there fratello, you good?" Gio asks, voice sounding tired.

(brother)