So angelo's always been a bitch, huh?

15 years ago, Beneventi House

Carlotta sits babbling in my lap, tear streaks drying along my cheeks as I stare out the window, the rain pelting down matching my own face.

"Zo stop." Car commands, and I glance down at her chubby face. Her eyebrows are squished in what I assume to be a scary looking face as she glowerss at me with her big brown eyes.

Another tear slips out of my eye but I smile at her, holding her closer to me on my lap.

"I'll stop, I'm sorry." I tell Car quietly, hearing the sound of multiple voices coming from downstairs, despite the loud rain drowning out most of it.

"Zo I'm hungry." Car whines, her fat little fingers gripping onto my sweater as she buries her face into it.

Taking the reprieve of her not watching me, I scrunch my face in pain as the last of my tears slip out. I didn't want her to see and get upset again so I brought my sleeve to my face to wipe away the evidence.

Forcing a smile onto my face I look back down at her, her doe-like gaze meeting mine from my lap, "We need to wait a little longer hm?" I start to bob my knee, to try to soothe her. "Wait until your brothers wake up okay?"

5 year old Massimo and 4 year old Romeo were fast asleep napping. I'd always managed to get them to sleep quickest- but Car was a stubborn girl and would much rather have food before she sleeps.

Car frowns but doesn't fight me, "Zo why are there so many men in our house?" She asks, some words sounding funny as she struggles to pronounce them with her over-sized cheeks.

I bite the inside of my cheek. There were multiple men in our house. Father only killed himself yesterday and suddenly we've all had to grow up.

Well- only me, Giovanni and Angelo. We agreed to keep the babies as out of it as possible. Though it's proving to be difficult given our situation.

I'd like to say I'm only a baby myself. I'm seven years old, but I don't feel it. I've taken care of all our siblings. Mom died before Car could even meet her and father took that as a sign to stop being a present father.

I feel like their mother. Well, father I guess.

"Angelo is going to take care of us now." I tell her as elusive as I can, willing my voice not to break and scare her, "You may not see him as much, okay?"

I think of my oldest brother, though the word old was a stupid word to describe him. He was 11 years young, and next in line to inherit our family's mafia.

Car's face turns downwards, "But I like Angelo." Her bottom lip wobbles and I curse silently under my breath.

That was the wrong thing to say.

"Hey, I know. We all like Angelo. He loves us okay? He's going to look after us. After you." I pull Car into me to hug her, mumble into her hair as she clutches me with all her strength.