53

I look down at Carlotta, who's clinging to my waist as she announces Arabella's pregnancy

Her gorgeous brown eyes are tearing up a little, and I lift my hands to her face delicately, "I'm so happy baby." I smile at her and her own smile grows impossibly wider.

She buries her head into my chest and I hug her tightly, Andreas and Mateo giving me a questioning look.

Looks like no one else knows about Car's pregnancy thing.

I send them a small smile in reassurance and they seem to get the message to not ask about it.

Car moves her head out of my chest with some kind of excited urgency, "Oh my god- we need to get stuff. Toys, blankets- fuck how long are cats pregnant for? She needs an ultrasound-"

I grip her face again and she stops abruptly, looking up at me with wide eyes. I can see her excitement in them, which makes my chest warm, but I can also see her pain. "We have time, baby don't worry." I say, rubbing my thumb on her cheek, "Hey, why don't we book an appointment to take her to the vet? Then we can go get some stuff for her, hm?" I ask.

She blinks up at me and nods her head, sniffling, "Yeah let's do that."

She's about to say something else when my phone starts to ring in my pocket. I curse it when she unfolds from me and steps back.

I want to turn it off and stay with her but she shakes her head, "No, no answer it. I'm going to sit with the boys anyways." She smiles, and nods to the older boys, laughing about something round the kitchen island.

I frown instinctively and she chuckles at me, "Just answer, come find me when you're done." She says, and walks over to the table.

I sigh and walk into a quieter hallway, pulling out my phone and looking at the caller ID.

My frown deepens.

Apollo.

I hadn't heard a single thing from him in weeks.

But I was too curious to deny the call.

"What?" I say gruffly into the phone, hearing his sigh on the other end.

"What?" He repeats angrily, "You fucking cut me off." He snaps.

I scoff a laugh, "You only figured this out now?" I say and can practically feel the anger radiating through the phone.

"I tried to use my card today and it ran out. I've used all my personal money and don't have access to your card." He grits and I roll my eyes.

"And you think I'd let you use my money after the shit you pulled?" I ask him sarcastically, and the fucker has the nerve to answer.

"After you killed my parents and became my primary caregiver? Yes, I did." He retaliates.

I clench my jaw, "You are of legal age. I offered you my support and you spat at my feet." I tell him, voice turning hard now, "So before you go defending your abusive fucking parents, I'd reconsider how lucky you were I was the one taking the beatings. You know how many times dad threatened to hurt you too?" I snap, and instantly regret the words..