62

I screw my eyes shut tighter against the bright morning light, internally punching myself for not closing the blinds last night

I snuggle my face back between Car's naked boobs, I guess I was pretty distracted-

Car sighs heavily in her sleep, her brows unconsciously furrowing, nose scrunching up and sniffling.

She definitely caught a small cold when she was out last night, which I wasn't happy about. Mostly because there wasn't much I could do for her.

My gaze then runs down her naked torso to her wrists, where an angry red mark is courtesy of my little brother.

I stare at it for a good minute before I lose my urge to sleep, instead sliding out of bed carefully and tucking Car in properly to hopefully sleep off as much of her illness as possible.

She didn't stir as I slipped on a pair of sweats, and grabbed my phone, jogging down the stairs into the empty kitchen-lounge area.

I glance at the time, and it's already 11 in the morning.

We were late to feeding the cats, and by the cross look on Rodrick's face, they knew it.

"Sorry buddy." I mumble and head over to the kitchen to prepare their two bowls of food. The vet gave us some extra stuff to mix into Arabella's food, just to ensure she was getting all the nutrients she needed whilst she was pregnant.

Rodrick monitors me carefully as Arabella is curled up on the sofa. She doesn't move much anymore, her little belly growing not-so-little over the past weeks. Her due date was creeping up by the second, and Car made it clear she wanted Arabella to have the kittens in our new house.

That meant we needed to think about actually moving shit over there and getting more furniture.

And also maybe telling everyone we bought a house.

I place the two cat bowls down and they get to eating right away, Rodrick not tucking in before Arabella does.

I smile faintly at the two of them before giving them some space and making some coffee, all the while trying to figure out how best to deal with Apollo.

He was out of line. He has been for a long time.

I think I just need to take a play out of Carlotta's book: blood isn't always family.

Pouring myself a cup of coffee, I take a seat at the bar and open my contacts on my phone. I hit dial on Apollo's number and brought my phone to my ear, tapping my foot as I waited for him to pick up.

It takes four rings before I get an answer, "Hello?" A very clogged and raspy voice asks on the other end of the line.

"Apollo.'' I say in a way of greeting, his name sounding foreign on my tongue now.