One step ahead

The recent weeks had become a period of significant growth for Ben and Jennifer. Dedicated to their weekly therapy sessions, they maintained a steadfast commitment to addressing their relationship challenges. Progress seemed to be unfolding positively for the couple, or so it appeared for the time being.

Jennifer's Perspective

This month brought with it the anticipated meeting between the blended family—Marc and Jennifer's "cocos" (children) and Ben. Though Marc harbored reservations about the situation, acknowledging it as ultimately Ben's decision, Jennifer sensed a readiness on the part of the kids. She, too, felt prepared for this important step forward, given the positive strides they had made together.

Having completed her work just in time, Jennifer awaited the moment to pick up the cocos from school. Ben entered her office, car keys in hand, and a warm smile on his face. "Ready to meet them?" she asked, rising from her chair and gathering her essentials.

"I believe I am, but would you prefer I stay here and meet them later?" Ben asked, closing the physical distance between them. Tenderly moving her hair aside, he planted a kiss on her forehead before cupping her face, his eyes filled with admiration.

"What makes you more comfortable?" she countered, reciprocating with another forehead kiss.

"I'm flexible, but as long as we can go out to dinner as a family," Ben suggested, sealing the conversation with a soft kiss. Jennifer agreed, and they set out in his Range Rover, with her at the wheel, feeling both grateful and somewhat diminutive in his expansive car.

"You handle this car quite well," Ben teased, his hand gently rubbing her thigh.

"I rarely drive, Papi. You know that. But I appreciate the compliment. I'm trying to face my fears," she chuckled, navigating the vehicle."

You know, I feel so secure in our relationship now that you know..." Ben paused, his hand now on her tummy.

Stopped at a traffic light, Jennifer shot him a curious look. "What...? I mean, I would love to eventually, but babe, I'm almost 50..."
"Jennifer, you're 39; it's still possible. Didn't you freeze your eggs or something?" Ben inquired.

"Yes, I did. But, Papi, it's not that easy. When I had the cocos at 24, I struggled to conceive. So, I assume it would be a slimmer chance this time around," Jennifer shared, her anxiety mounting. The idea of having another child triggered a flood of thoughts, intensifying her panic.

Sensing her distress, Ben acted swiftly. Guiding the car to the side of the road, he helped Jennifer park, providing comfort as her anxiety peaked. As they switched seats, he reassured her with calming words and exercises, acknowledging the need for a more composed setting to discuss such weighty matters.

Apologizing for bringing up the sensitive topic, Ben redirected their focus to the immediate task at hand. Jennifer, now more at ease, nodded in agreement.

Arriving at the school, they waited in the pick-up line, discussing dinner plans and indulging in affectionate gestures. When the cocos approached, the introduction took place, and amidst casual conversation, a surprising revelation dawned upon Jennifer—her kids knew Ben's children before she did.

To be continued...