Bring me to Life

Ben's consciousness fought against the oppressive fog of a prolonged coma, the muffled voices in his mind a symphony of the unreal. He clawed his way to awareness, opening his eyes to a world that felt both distant and immediate. Beside his hospital bed stood Jennifer, a vision of beauty, flanked by two little girls and a little boy. The effort to speak, hampered by a tube down his throat, resulted in a violent coughing fit. Jennifer, a beacon of concern, urgently summoned a nurse to rectify the situation.

"Mr. Affleck, how are you feeling?" The nurse inquired after the tube was removed, an echo of clinical detachment in her voice.

"I feel good. Really good," Ben managed to rasp, the words laden with the gravity of his awakening.

The nurse proceeded with tests, a measured examination of Ben's compromised body. The soreness in his limbs mirrored the weariness of a body that had been confined for far too long. The realization of the passage of time hit him as Jennifer tearfully introduced the three children – Juniper, Raelynn, and Levi.

"They were so small... how long have I been in a coma for?" Ben asked, grappling with the staggering truth.

"Three years... it's now 2027... August 1st," Jennifer whispered through tears, the weight of those lost years etched on her face.

Drowning in the profound changes, Ben's attempts at understanding were interrupted by the innocence of Juni, expressing her longing and joy at his return. As Jennifer, overwhelmed by emotion, sought solace in his embrace, Ben assured her of his presence, promising that he wasn't going anywhere.

Amidst the emotional turbulence, the hospital room became a stage for a poignant reunion, a dramatic dance of love, pain, and rediscovery. As the narrative unfolded, the nurses returned, running tests while the kids animatedly shared tales of the years Ben had missed.

After the tumultuous tests, Jennifer stepped out to share the news with their other children. In the solitude of the room, Ben sought answers, unearthing a tale of sacrifice, surrogate family, and the unwavering strength of his wife during his absence.

The air in the room crackled with intensity as the nurses concluded their tests, leaving a lingering tension. Jennifer returned, her presence a volatile mix of relief and trepidation. Ben's eyes bore into her as he broached the subject that had hung in the shadows of their conversation.

"Jennifer... tell me the truth.. who was with you while I was gone?" Ben's voice carried the weight of suspicion, a subtle quake beneath the surface.

"Matt... he came to help.. he's been a great stepdad to the kids," Jennifer responded, the nervous cadence of her words amplifying the gravity of the moment.

A sharp "What??" tore from Ben's throat, a surge of emotions punctuating the revelation.

"I'm kidding. My sister Leslie, who's been retired for some time, has been with me for the past three years," Jennifer quickly clarified, attempting to ease the tension, yet the lingering shock persisted.

Ben, now navigating a labyrinth of conflicting emotions, sought further clarity. "Have you found anyone else while I was gone?" The question hung in the air, a test of trust, a plea for unwavering honesty.

"No. That's the last thing I would ever do to you," Jennifer asserted, her words carrying the weight of loyalty. "I've been so depressed, Ben. I've been on overdrive mode, trying to be the best mom I could... when Violet left.. she left on a bad note.. we got into a huge argument, and her and Cy stopped talking because she blamed everything on Cy.. and then.. after that when everything settled.. we slowly became a family again..."

A heavy sigh escaped Ben's lips, the gravity of the situation pressing upon him. "Jennifer, I can't fathom the pain you've been through. I never wanted any of this to happen," he murmured, his voice a mixture of remorse and understanding. "But now that I'm here, we face it together. We rebuild, for us and for our family."