Last minute Gala

Ben's Perspective10:15 AM

"Babe, why do you have to leave? What's going on?" I asked, watching as Jenn meticulously packed her luggage.

She glanced at me with a sense of urgency in her eyes. "I've been invited to the Met Gala. It's a last-minute thing, but Anna Wintour personally called me and asked if I could catch the last-minute flight to New York. When Anna requests your presence, it's an opportunity you can't refuse. She rarely extends such invitations."

"But are we going together?" I asked, uncertain of our plans.

Jenn replied softly, "I was invited, but you weren't."

I tried to make sense of it all, my frustration mounting. "So, what am I supposed to do? Fly back to LA for the day and then return to Paris with you?"

Jenn halted her packing and I gently held her hands, seeking answers. "No, you're coming with me, and I'll talk to Anna. I'm sorry if she insists on no couples; she can be quite strict about that."

I reminded her, "You have a filming commitment tomorrow. Today is your day off."

She replied with a hint of resignation, "Babe, you know my schedule is always packed. I'm constantly working. When I'm home, it's because I've cleared my schedule. Don't worry; the kids will join us in New York so they can return with us. Benny has already arranged their schoolwork for the rest of the semester so they can stay with us."

I conceded, "I suppose..."

We hastily gathered our belongings and headed to the airport. Jenn remained remarkably composed, as if she had an innate sense of timing, never concerned about being late.

I couldn't help but ask, "Aren't you nervous, babe?"

Jenn smiled reassuringly, "No, I've attended numerous Met Galas before, and I cherish every opportunity."

I probed further, recalling a past event, "The last one was with Alex, right?"

Jenn's smile faded as she recounted the memories, "Yes, that was not a pleasant night."

"What happened?"I asked.

Jenn set her phone aside, turning her full attention to me. "Everything was going well until we were about ten minutes away from the gala. Alex suddenly transformed into a complete control freak, wanting to take charge of every aspect. He became obsessively controlling and insisted on hogging the spotlight, despite the fact that I was the one who received the invitation and requested Anna to include him as my plus one. It was incredibly frustrating. We pretended to be a happy couple for the cameras."

I sympathized, "Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through that."

Jenn shrugged it off, "It's in the past, and now I have a husband who knows better than to mess with me, or Lola will make an appearance."

I teased her and leaned in to kiss her, and she reciprocated. "I am a good husband," I chuckled, holding her close and gently caressing her belly.Jenn giggled, "I know you are, and that's why I love you." I shifted the conversation, "Do we know what we're wearing?" 

Jenn assured me, "Mariel and Rob have our outfits ready. Lorenzo, Chris, and Mary will also be there, waiting for us at the hotel."

I nodded, content with the plans. "Alright, babe, just checking." Jenn leaned closer, seeking comfort in my embrace. "Mhm," she whispered softly, drifting off to sleep.