Live For Me

Jenn's POV August 8th, 2024

It was 2 AM, and sleep seemed like a distant memory. My body, usually accommodating to the demands of pregnancy, was in revolt. Each movement brought discomfort, and the pressure below my waistline was unrelenting. The damp sheets from our earlier intimacy were a forgotten detail amidst the growing unease.

"Ben... wake up," I whispered, shaking him gently.

No response.

"Benjamin!" I called out, a mix of frustration and worry creeping into my voice.

He stirred, groggy but attentive, as the bedside lamp illuminated my frazzled state.

"My back... it's killing me," I confessed, seeking comfort in his arms.

"Need a massage?" His concern was evident in his voice.

"No, just hold me," I pleaded, the pain intensifying with each passing moment.

As he drew me close, a surge of pain rippled through me, signaling what was to come.

"Babe, are you okay?" His worry cut through the darkness.

I glanced down, and the realization hit—my water had broken, and the baby was coming.

"Damn it," I muttered, the urgency setting in as Ben sprang into action, rallying our eldest to watch over the others.

"Benjamin... it hurts so much," I confessed, the weight of each contraction bearing down on me.

The drive to the hospital blurred with agony and anticipation, every bump in the road a reminder of the journey ahead. Ben's reassurances were a lifeline amidst the chaos, but the intensity of the pain was unlike anything I'd felt before.

"I can't wait," I cried out, the urgency overwhelming reason as I braced for what lay ahead.

"Jenn, we're almost there!" Ben's voice, a mix of panic and determination, filled the car.

But in the grip of labor, his words felt distant, drowned out by the primal instinct to push forward.

"Don't yell at me!" I snapped, the pain and frustration boiling over.

"I'm sorry, princess," Ben's apology was a soothing balm in the midst of chaos.

The journey to the hospital was a blur of agony and anticipation, every bump in the road sending shockwaves of pain through my body. Ben's hand, warm and reassuring, clasped mine tightly, his presence a steady comfort amidst the chaos.

"We're almost there," he said, his voice filled with a mixture of excitement and nerves.

"I can't wait," I replied, my voice strained with effort as I braced myself against another contraction.

As we pulled into the hospital parking lot, a sense of relief washed over me, mingled with a tinge of apprehension for what lay ahead.

"Stay by me," I implored Ben, my voice betraying the fear that gripped my heart as he helped me out of the car.

"I'm right here, Jen," he assured me, his eyes reflecting both concern and determination.

Inside, the hospital corridors seemed endless, the scent of antiseptic mingling with the sounds of distant cries and hurried footsteps.

"Name and date of birth?" the receptionist asked, her voice gentle amidst the whirlwind of emotions.

"Jennifer Affleck, July 24th" I replied, my words punctuated by the intensity of each contraction.