Be alright

Ben's Perspective

As the moment arrived for us to head home, my heart ached with a desire to whisk Jennifer away to France once more. France held a special place in our hearts, and I longed for a private getaway with my wife, some quality time for just the two of us, away from the responsibilities of parenthood and work.

In the car, our kids and Jenn were with us as we made our way to the airport. I gazed at Jennifer and softly whispered into her ear, "How about a trip to Paris, just the two of us? I crave some solitude with you, my love, and I want you all to myself for a while. No children, no work, just an escape, and we can even silence our phones, only allowing our kids to reach us." I planted a gentle kiss on her cheek, my plea in my eyes. Jenn looked at me and let out a sigh.

"I want to, but I have a movie to shoot, remember?" she replied, leaning in to kiss me.

I chuckled, leaning into her kiss, and whispered, "Lucky for you, the movie is being filmed in Paris."

"How did you find out before I did?" Jenn inquired with a smirk, her leg resting on mine.

I started massaging her feet and shrugged playfully. "Did you ask Elaine for the information?" she wondered, arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah," I admitted with a laugh, and Jenn shook her head with a smile.

"Well, darling, you're going back to LA on the plane with the kids. I'll be in Paris for my movie shoot. But don't worry, you'll stay in school for one more week until I arrange for your school stuff, so you can complete your studies in Paris. I don't want to leave you in another country. I want you to focus on school but also explore with us," Jenn explained to our kids, her gaze on them.

"No mommy for a week? Who's going to serenade me in the morning when I wake up?" Sam pouted.

"Don't worry, sweetheart, it's only for a week. I promise," Jenn assured him, offering a warm smile.

"Cool, it's not like I have a bustling social life or anything," Cy said sarcastically, rolling their eyes.

Jenn started to speak but was interrupted by Cy. "Excuse me? Watch your attitude, Cy. I understand your frustration, but—"

Cy cut her off, venting their feelings. "We're always on the go, and I've missed out on hanging out with my friends because of Alex. We were constantly jet-setting to the Bahamas and Miami, rarely spending time in LA. We hardly ever hung out with our friends, always surrounded by Ella and Natasha's friends. I don't want to spend the last two months of school in Paris. I can't. I need my friends, and you fail to see that because you're always wrapped up in your current partner."

Jenn asked, "What are you suggesting, Cy?"

"That you're always prioritizing everyone else over us, Mom," Cy stated, their frustration evident.

"Cy, it sounds like you don't feel a part of this family," Jenn remarked.

"Were you waiting for me to spell it out? I'd rather live with Dad. He lets me do whatever I want," Cy replied, annoyed.

I watched as Jenn's expression shifted dramatically. She was hurt by Cy's words but managed to respond, "Excuse my language, but your dad hasn't been there for you or Max. He stopped caring when he broke up with Shannon. He stopped caring, but I won't abandon you two or leave you alone. So don't say he lets you do whatever you want because you hardly ever see him, and when you do, it's the nanny taking care of you, not your actual father."

"Whatever," Cy said, crossing their arms.

The car ride turned silent, much like Jenn, who cried silently. I sighed and held her close, planting a tender kiss on her head. Max sighed too, recognizing that Cy was entirely in the wrong and had upset Jenn. As we arrived at the airport, we saw two different jets waiting nearby. The kids disembarked first, grabbing their luggage. I assisted Jenn as she stepped out of the car.

Goodbye, my darlings," Jenn said, hugging all the kids except for Cy, who had already boarded the jet without a farewell.

I knew Jenn was hurting, but we had to leave. I embraced the kids tightly before we went our separate ways. Once on the jet, Jennifer immediately pulled out her iPad and began working to distract herself from the sadness. I sighed, knowing she used work to cope with difficult emotions. I gave her space and settled down for a nap. The flight was seven hours long, and I slept through the entire journey. Upon landing, I awoke to find Jenn in the same position, still working. She stashed her iPad away and gave me a soft smile. Her eyes, however, betrayed her true feelings; even when she smiled, they revealed her sadness. I stood up and knelt beside her, taking her hand in mine."I know you're hurting, my love. But it's just a minor disagreement. That's how teenagers are; they can be moody. I understand what Cy meant, but it doesn't make us bad parents for working to provide for our children. You're an exceptional mother, and the kids know it, just as I do. Even when you're not feeling your best, it's okay. Process your feelings and accept them," I reassured her, caressing her cheek gently. Her eyes welled with tears, and a few escaped. I stood up and pulled her in a warm embrace. She began to cry, letting out all the pent-up emotions.

"I sometimes feel like I shouldn't have become who I am and should have just been a stay-at-home mom, like my mom," Jennifer confided through her tears.

"No, no, my dear. You're doing amazing. I understand it's tough juggling fame, projects, life, and kids all at once, but you've been doing it for the past 15 years. Look at your kids; they've turned out wonderfully, and you've done that all by yourself. You've made it happen. Cy will come to understand eventually; they just don't grasp it right now. They won't ignore you forever; teenagers are just complex like that," I comforted her, rubbing her back.

She nodded softly, wiping away her tears. "Thank you. Sometimes I just need to cry. I can't always be strong," Jenn admitted with sadness in her voice.

I sighed softly and nodded. "Come on, I'll buy you a crepe with your favorite filling."

"Okay," Jenn replied eagerly, wiping her tears once more. She headed to the car, and I chuckled softly, grabbing our bags and following her.

To be continued...