Party! Right...?

Jen's Pov

We arrived at the venue and walked in. The kids were already inside and were ready to surprise their dad. I walked in with Ben and everyone shouted: "Surprise!!!".

[what the venue looks like] I looked at him and smiled as I watched his expressions change from neutral to surprised

[what the venue looks like] I looked at him and smiled as I watched his expressions change from neutral to surprised. I giggled and took a video of the whole thing.

"Mr. Affleck, the birthday boy, the man of the hour, has arrived!" Benny's voice boomed through the microphone, sending ripples of excitement through the room. The crowd erupted in cheers and applause, their collective joy echoing through the air. First, we made our way to greet Ben's family, and then it was my own family's turn. My mother approached him after he'd greeted his own mother.

"My baby is here!" Lupe exclaimed, her arms enveloping Ben in a tight, warm embrace. He responded with a smile and a reciprocal hug.

I couldn't help but feel amazed by my mother's immediate acceptance of him. She was notoriously selective about the people she embraced, and yet, from the moment I introduced Ben to her, she had taken him into her heart. Standing back, I admired the connection between my mom and Ben. They talked and laughed together, the sparks of friendship and family bonding lighting up the room. As a server passed by, they handed me a glass of chardonnay, which I accepted. Sipping from it, I watched the festivities unfold and took a moment to ensure everything ran smoothly. As I made my way to our assigned table, the audiovisual coordinator approached me.

"Mrs. Affleck, I wanted to let you know that you're all set for your performance. The dancers are ready, and everything is in place," he said, glancing at his iPad before meeting my gaze.

"Thank you. I'll wait for Ben to settle in a bit before I surprise him," I replied, my thoughts already on the performance.

"Sounds good. We're ready whenever you are," he replied with a reassuring smile. I nodded and then went to chat with my sisters for a while.

"Hey, why is Ana so close to Ben?" Lynda whispered to me, her eyes fixed on the pair. They were deep in conversation, sharing whispers and giggles like mischievous children. I shrugged and sighed softly in response. "I don't know, Lynda. They're best friends, but it does seem a bit odd."

Time slipped away, and finally, Ben made his way over to where I was sitting. "Hey, honey," he said, planting a gentle kiss on my cheek as he settled beside me.

"Hey," I replied coolly, avoiding eye contact.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Ben's voice carried concern.

"I don't know. Maybe you should ask Ana," I retorted, my annoyance evident.

"Jenn, we're not going to play this card," Ben's irritation mirrored mine.

"I'm your wife, Ben. I'm your wife, and you're over there flirting with some girl," I said, my annoyance deepening as I shot him a glare.

"You know, maybe you should relax a bit, have a Diet Coke. Just take it easy, babe," Ben suggested, his frustration growing.

I gazed at him, my mind swirling with thoughts. "You're telling me to relax?" I raised my voice, the tension between us palpable.

"May we have Mr. and Mrs. Affleck on the dance floor, please?" The DJ's announcement interrupted our argument.

"Damn it," I thought, glaring at Ben before getting up. We walked to the dance floor, where my dancers and I took our positions. Ben settled into a chair, his eyes fixed on me. I mustered a fake smile and pushed our arguement we had earlier aside.

The music began, and I started to sing. I serenaded Ben with Alicia Keys' "No One," and then transitioned into a sultry, choreographed routine to Christina Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man." The performance exuded a burlesque vibe, oozing sensuality, allure, and heat. As I finished, Ben stared at me, clearly astonished, while the crowd erupted in applause. I glanced at him briefly, then looked around, laughing breathlessly. Ben rose from his seat and drew me into his arms, planting a deep and passionate kiss. I responded with equal intensity, our connection undeniable. He sensed that something still troubled me but chose to overlook it, offering congratulations instead.

I seized the microphone and addressed the crowd. "Thank you all for joining us in celebrating my husband. We appreciate each and every one of you, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the party! Feel free to dance and have an amazing time!" I giggled and smiled, returning the microphone to the DJ.

Ben took my hand and kissed it, and I mustered another fake smile before excusing myself to the women's restroom. Shortly after, Ben followed, entering and locking the door behind him.

"Will you tell me what's wrong? Why are you acting like this?" Ben pleaded.

I met his gaze, experiencing a haunting sense of déjà vu. This was eerily reminiscent of the situations I'd faced with Alex, always flirting with other women right in front of me.

"Nothing," I replied, dabbing at my makeup."Babe, why don't you like Ana?" Ben persisted.I remained silent, refusing to engage with him as I continued touching up my makeup."Jennifer, hello?" Ben implored. "Fine, if you don't want to talk, I'm sure Ana would like to." He left the restroom, leaving me fuming.

"Maybe you're just insecure," Ana's voice surprised me as she stepped out of the stall, having overheard everything. She washed her hands and then left.

I was left dumbfounded, staring at her as she walked away.

To be continued...