Sera's big day

Sera's Perspective

A few days after the intense drama with my sister, Violet...

Violet pulled into the driveway, and I glanced at her, exhaling softly.

"Can you please try to be nice to Mom and Dad, just this once? I'm going to tell them about my upcoming drama show, and I want them to be there. I'd like you to be there too. So, please, just be nice," I implored Violet, gazing at her.

Violet seemed lost in her own thoughts, dreading the idea of seeing our parents, which only pushed her away further.

"Okay," Violet replied softly. Max, Cy, and Sam stayed silent as they headed inside, leaving Violet and me in the car.

"You don't understand, Sera. It's-" Violet started to speak, but I interrupted her abruptly.

"Violet, it's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. You've got your life sorted out, you're almost done with school, but you're still in school. If I were in your shoes, I'd use this opportunity to stay in school until we move, graduate early, and start auditioning in Georgia. Dad could take me to New York for auditions. You're missing the bigger picture. You're too focused on the past, your memories, and friends. Most of your friends have already moved to Georgia. Why can't you accept the fact that we're moving? Your career is practically set, thanks to the connections you made at the Hamptons club when we went with Mom. Stop being stubborn and concentrate on your future. Friends come and go. So, stop being selfish and making things harder for Dad. He's already had to deal with Mom yelling and scolding him," I snapped at her and stormed inside.

I approached my mom, who was settling my younger sisters in their cots near the living room. Dad joined us, sitting on the couch and pulling Mom beside him.

"Mom, Dad, there's something I need to tell you," I said to them.

"What is it?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, what's up, love bug?" Mom asked, her smile warm and welcoming.

I handed her the pamphlet for the Broadway show my school was performing, with me on the cover.

"Oh my goodness! You're the lead in your school's musical?" Mom exclaimed, her excitement palpable.

"Yes!" I giggled.

"Wow, kid! I didn't know you had it in you!" Dad beamed, standing up to give me a warm hug. I returned the hug, and Mom followed suit, beaming as well.

"I'm so proud of you, baby. I can't wait to see you perform, my love," Mom said, brushing a strand of hair from my face and planting a kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you," I smiled, relieved to have their support. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Violet slowly approaching us.

"I found an apartment," Violet announced.I couldn't believe it. Just when I was basking in my moment, the spotlight shifted to Violet.

"Are you serious? I was having a good moment, we've had a good week, and you choose now to say this? It's not even your money in the bank; it's Mom's and Dad's! You're being so selfish! We can't catch a break," I snapped at Violet, then retreated to my room, slamming the door shut.

I lost my composure and began to cry into my pillow. All I wanted was a peaceful family life, for us to be okay, for Dad to be okay, and for Mom to stop worrying about Dad. There was never a sense of normalcy in our family.

"Violet, no. If you want an apartment, you'll have to find a job, buy your own car, and pay for everything yourself," Mom scolded Violet, arms folded, and exasperation clear in her voice.