You live and you learn

A Boston Night, Lingering and Unyielding

Jenn's Perspective

"Ben...?" I whispered, my voice barely audible as I finished cleansing my face and gently patted it dry with a soft towel.

There was only silence in response.

"Ben?" I tried again, turning my gaze towards the bed. There he sat, lost in his headphones, focused on a movie.

I approached the bed with deliberate steps, gingerly easing myself into the space between his legs, my eyes locked on him. Not a flicker of acknowledgement crossed his face. I lay down on top of him, and he emitted an irritated sigh before averted his gaze.

"I had a wonderful time today, even though you weren't willing to talk to me," I said softly, my voice heavy with regret. "I understand that you're still upset, and I'm sorry. I love you deeply, and I hate when we have these fights. I'm sure the kids can sense our tension, our silence. Will you please talk to me?" I said, my eyes searching his.

He shifted, gently pushing me off him, then grabbed his pillow and retreated to the living room. It seemed another sleepless night was in store for me. I sighed and laid in his spot, feeling his absence. His side of the bed still retained his warmth, offering some semblance of solace; the lingering scent of his cologne embraced me, like a phantom hug.

The next morning...

I awoke and glanced at the clock: 11:27 AM. Today was filled with hope, as I wished for a heartfelt conversation with Ben.

Turning my gaze to the floor, I found Ben sound asleep, cocooned in his pillow and blanket. I rose from bed with deliberate care, tiptoeing over to him. Leaning in, I gently tapped his shoulder.

A soft, sleepy murmur escaped his lips as he shifted onto his back.Sensing the opportune moment, I decided to take the plunge. Our lips met in a tender kiss, and Ben, gradually waking, responded with equal fervor. His hands trailed down my hips, gripping my waist and urging me to straddle him. As we broke the kiss, he lifted my shirt and placed soft, loving kisses on my belly.

"I'm sorry for neglecting you, little one," he whispered, caressing my belly affectionately.  gazed down at him, my eyes searching for understanding.

"I'm also sorry for my behavior," he admitted, his eyes filled with regret. "I was grappling with my own insecurities and unresolved pain from the past, and it led me to snap at you in front of our daughter. I deeply regret the hurtful words I said. I made you out to be the villain, which was entirely unfair. What Violet said stirred up old wounds, and I didn't want our kids to think we were on the brink of breaking up again. I've been a lousy husband, and I recognize that you never meant what you said with that other person. I just tend to overthink things. It made me feel insecure, both as a man and as your husband. I never want to feel that way again because I know that if you were ever single again, everyone would be vying for your attention effortlessly. Let's be honest, you're stunning and the complete package. You're an incredible person, a phenomenal wife, an extraordinarily skilled cook, a wonderful mother – you've got it all," he admitted, tears welling up, overwhelmed by remorse for neglecting our relationship.I listened, understanding his pain and his desire to make amends.  "I understand," I replied. "I'm sorry for making you feel that way. But remember, if you ever ignore me again, I might just have to give you a punch to make you understand how much it hurts. I hate feeling ignored, and you know that." I playfully pinched his nipples and twisted them.

"OUCH!" Ben exclaimed, pushing my hands away while clutching his chest. He chuckled softly. "Okay, lesson learned. Those nails of yours hurt."

"Good," I said, leaning down to kiss him.

Ben's fingers returned to my belly, and he began to gently rub it in a circular motion. His face lit up with surprise as the baby kicked for the first time, a remarkable and heartwarming moment.

"Oh my god.." I giggled and Ben was so surprised.

We felt another gentle kick, and he instinctively began conversing with our unborn child.

"Hello there, little love bug. Daddy is eagerly waiting for you, and we already adore you immensely," he whispered to my belly. He leaned down to plant a tender kiss and then lovingly caressed it.

I marveled at the affection he showered upon my belly and how he cherished this intimate connection. Subsequently, while I was still nestled atop him, he mustered the strength to lift me and carried me over to the bed. He gently placed me down and settled beside me, drifting back to sleep for another hour of rest. Though he dozed, I remained awake, scrolling through my phone. Suddenly, an unfamiliar number flashed on the screen, tempting me to answer, even though I hadn't planned to. I got up, walked into the bathroom, and closed the door before picking up the call."Hello?"

"Hi... is this Jennifer?"

"Yes..?"

"Hello... I've been meaning to call you for a while, but I lacked the confidence to do so."

"What's this about? And who is this?"

"I'm sorry... This is Madison LeCroy."

"How did you get my number?""

I... please, just give me a chance to explain... please..."

"You have two minutes.""

Okay. I want to apologize for my actions regarding your ex-fiancé. I didn't mean to overstep, but I had broken up with my ex, and Alex and I were close friends. One night, while he left your place for a 'business meeting' in Miami, he was with me in Philly for a week... we were intimate... many times, actually. I'm sorry; that's not the point. I have a son with him, and I should've told you before the allegations were all over the place. I should've been upfront, but I was young, foolish, and I'm genuinely sorry for the pain I caused you and your family. I wasn't thinking straight, and now I'm facing similar circumstances, as my ex cheated on me multiple times during my pregnancy..."

"Well... I'm not sure what to say. That was a long time ago, and it's probably for the best that Alex and I went our separate ways. He had a reputation. I'm not happy to hear about your difficult situation, but I forgive you. People change, and I believe in giving second chances. I appreciate your call, and I genuinely wish you the best. May your pregnancy be safe, and I hope the three of you find happiness. Before I hang up, remember that being single is okay. Prioritize yourself and your children over a man. Take care, Madison."

I ended the call and sighed. Ben had woken up and had overheard the entire conversation since the phone was on speaker.

"You handled that remarkably well," Ben remarked as he entered the room.

"Well, you know, life has a way of balancing the scales. I'm content with our life together; I'm not upset over a serial cheater," I chuckled.

"Good," Ben said and kissed my forehead.

To be continued...