The old Jennifer

Jenn's Perspective

Life was sailing smoothly until I unexpectedly bumped into her at the store. I hadn't intended to make eye contact, but she took the initiative to approach me.

"Hi, it's lovely to see you again! It's been a few months, but how have you been?" Jennifer said, Ben's ex-wife.

"Yes, it's been a while. I'm doing great; how about you?" I responded with a warm smile.

"I've been doing well. How have the kids been this week?" She asked. 

"They've been fantastic. We're gearing up for a little vacation soon. The kids and I are heading to Boston, and Ben will join us after wrapping up his filming," I explained, grinning.

"Hmm, Boston... Interesting, the kids haven't mentioned it, nor has Ben..." Jen remarked, her arms crossed.

"Oh, I'm not sure," I replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"Alright, well, it was nice seeing you. Have a good day, okay?" She bid farewell with a forced smile and left.

I breathed a sigh of relief and continued my shopping, pondering why she seemed so upset. It's not like the kids keep things from her... or do they?

Back at my car, I took out my phone and texted Violet.

j: "Hey, sweetheart, I ran into your mom at the store and mentioned our upcoming trip to Boston. She seemed upset that she wasn't informed. Did you or Sam tell her?"

V: "Hi! Um, no, we haven't told her. She tends to go on about being careful around you, and I knew this day would come, but I was preparing myself for that conversation."

j: "Oh, that's alright. We can discuss it when I get home, okay?"

V: "Okay, sounds good."

I stashed my phone in my purse and headed home after finishing my shopping. As I drove, my thoughts wandered to the strange encounters with Ben's exes. Was this a sign of something, or just a peculiar coincidence? The small-town vibe seemed to follow me even in Bel-Air, but it was probably the interconnected nature of our industry. Upon arriving home, I saw Ben emerging from the garage with a bag. I got out of the car and walked over to him, laden with my shopping bags.

"Hi, honey," Ben greeted me, leaning in for a kiss. I returned the kiss and smiled.

"Hey, baby. What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, as Ben relieved me of my bags and playfully smacked my ass with his free hand. I giggled softly, and his smile widened.

"Well... I... follow me, and I'll show you," he began, gesturing for me to follow. I nodded and followed him to the backyard.

He set the bags on the countertop and opened the back door. Our dogs, Lady and Tyson, walked inside, and I greeted them warmly. Ben led me to the backyard, where electric candles formed a heart shape with a blanket and pillows in the center. A charcuterie board with my favorite cheeses and meats, a box of donuts from Dunkin', and a bucket of iced coffee were laid out.

"Wow, is this what you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked as he helped me sit down.

"Yeah," he replied with a soft smile, taking a seat beside me.

"Are you sure...?" I asked.

"Let's enjoy some snacks before we dive into it, okay?" Ben suggested, his smile unwavering, and he kissed my forehead. We indulged in a silent, comfortable snacking session.

"So, I ran into Jennifer today... your ex," I eventually said.

"Oh, did you? What happened, baby?" Ben asked, playing with my hair, which he knew I loved.

"I didn't intend to have a conversation, but she approached me. We talked about the kids, and when I mentioned Boston, she got upset. It seems neither Violet nor Sera informed her," I explained.

"Eh, it doesn't matter. The kids are in good hands with us. She always puts on a show of being a great mom and wife, but she tends to blow things out of proportion. That's why the kids feel so comfortable with you; you're kind and welcoming. They confide in you, babe," Ben reassured, planting a kiss on my cheek. He massaged my shoulders, and we both enjoyed the silence.

"Don't stress about it, alright? It won't affect your relationship with the kids, and I won't let Jennifer interfere. I know her and the kids know her true nature. You can be part of it, but just remember the real side of her," Ben comforted, continuing to massage my shoulders. I nodded in agreement. He was right; after all, there must be a reason he divorced her. However, I realized I didn't know her well.

"Wait, what was that thing you wanted to talk about, babe?" I asked.

"I was thinking... we should have a baby. Perhaps through a surrogate with my sperm and your eggs," Ben began before correcting himself with a chuckle. "Sorry, I meant your eggs and my sperm."

"I did freeze my eggs, so I wouldn't want to risk a pregnancy, but I'd be open to trying with a surrogate," I replied, giggling.

"Alright, it sounds like a plan. A baby-making team," Ben said with a chuckle.

To be continued...