A Mother Always Knows

|Stephanie's POV|

I was en route to Florida to spend the weekend with Paul and Vaughn. I got an email from V saying that I needed to "come get my husband" because he was "doing too much." Apparently Asher came for a visit and Paul was being his usual self. Like most fathers, he was protective of his girls. Okay, maybe Paul is a little more protective than most. Add in the rest of the men in this family, it's a whole ordeal. Still, I have to reel him back sometimes because yes, he can do a lot.

Hearing from Vaughn that he was overly welcoming to Asher wasn't surprising. He wants to be involved as much as possible with the girls, especially, but I know they're not comfortable talking to him about everything. I know I was the same with my father. As the girls have gotten older, he's gotten a little better. Still, he has his moments that drive them crazy. Drives me crazy sometimes having to hear about it and interfere.

I made my way to the hotel and checked into our suite. I was surprised to see Paul was there, without V.

"Hey honey," I said, greeting him.

"Hey, you got here faster than I thought."

He stood giving me a kiss and holding me in his embrace. This is a feeling that will never get old.

"How was the flight?" he asked.

"As comfortable as it could be. Where's V?"

"She's with Asher."

I raised my brow.

"With Asher, where?"

"They're downstairs. I'm actually surprised you didn't see them."

"No, I didn't."

"Yeah, they're just getting food. I told V you'd more and likely be here by the time they got back."

"Good, that gives us time to talk."

"About what?"

"Vaughn."

He gave me a strange look.

"What did I do now?"

I smirked.

"Why do you think you did something?"

"I know how the girls are. So, what did I do this time?"

"Well, you're doing that thing that you do."

He looked confused.

"What thing?"

"You're being too aggressive in your approach in talking to V about her feelings for Asher."

"She likes him, what more is there to it?"

"We know she likes him, it's clear as day. Still, you don't have to keep throwing it in her face. I know, it's weird for you. This is our babygirl who just turned 16. You're trying to find that balance of letting her go and grow while still keeping her close. Look, I know it's a struggle. It's harder for you than it is for me. I'm just letting you know, you're driving her crazy and crazy V is a cranky V."

He chuckled.

"I know."

I shook my head.

"Paul..."

"Alright, alright. I'll ease back. I wanted her to be honest with her feelings, but I know it's weird for the girls to talk to me about that then it is with you. That's your lane of expertise. I have to accept that."

"Don't worry, they'll always need you."

"I'm sure they will."

"So, what is Asher doing here?"