Step Up

|Bash's POV|

I listened to my mother explain to me that my little brother was having a rough start to the school year. The latest event? He had stolen the keys to her car and ended up totaling it. He won't listen to her, he's not speaking with our father, and he's pissed at me. The last time he was here, we didn't leave on good terms.

|Flashback|

I was in my office, going over some paperwork when I heard a knock on my door. It was Leo. I motioned for him to come in and he took a seat. He looked nervous about something.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I uh, I just need to talk to you about something that's been on my mind for a while now. I just... I don't know how to say it."

"Well, you have my undivided attention so just say what you have to say."

He took a deep breath.

"Bash, I know you have a lot going on here. I mean you have your job, your relationship with Ro, you just had the twins..."

"Leo, you know mom and dad aren't going to let you move in with us. Dad made that pretty clear."

"Who cares what he says? He's working most of the time anyway. Mom wouldn't mind. You could talk to her!"

"There's a lot having you move here. Where would you go to school? I work, Rory works too. What are you going to do?"

"There a public school not too far from here. I could help Rory with the twins, too. I could get a job to make my own money. I just... I really want to get out of Florida, Bash. I need your help to do that."

I sat there staring at my little brother. He was really serious about this having thought out all the details. Still, this wasn't my call.

"You'd be leaving mom all alone," I commented.

"Do you really think that she's changed now that it's the two of us? Mom is still mom."

"Still..."

He sucked his teeth.

"Damn, Bash. If you don't want me here, just say that."

"You being here isn't a problem, Leo..."

"Yeah, it's fine for me to visit, but wanting to live here is too much. I get it. Forget I even asked."

He got up leaving and the rest of the trip he was pretty cold towards me. Ro asked me what happened seeing the tension between us. I just told her Leo was in a mood.

-

After getting off the phone with my mom, I told her I would try and come down for a couple of days to help her sort things out with Leo. Now to talk to Rory

"What was that all about?" she questioned as I hung up the phone.

"Leo totaled my mom's car."

"What?! Is he okay?!"

"He's fine, for now. My mom called my dad and he's heading to meet her now. All of this could have been avoided."

"What do you mean?"

"Leo asked me to move in the last time he and my mom were here."

"He did? Why didn't you tell me? No wonder he was acting like that towards you. It all makes sense now."

"My parents..."

"Bash, what's your issue?"

"Who am I to raise my brother? How am I supposed to have you help with that? He has 3 more years left of high school. We have the twins to worry about. I just... He's not your responsibility."