Deceit

|Vaughn's POV|

Sitting at dinner with my uncles, Uncle Shawn still hadn't given me his decision. Now you may wonder, why didn't I just ask my parents when I spoke to them. Well, my uncles house, his rules. Plus it's not like he and my parents really operate any differently.

"So, Uncle Shawn..."

"Damn, can we get through dinner before you hound the man to give you answer," Uncle Kev butted in.

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms, throwing myself back in my chair. Neither one of my uncles seemed phased by my behavior. They were more amused.

"Well, I haven't seen you do that in quite some time. Start a tantrum in this restaurant and it's your ass," Uncle Shawn stated, continuing to eat his food.

"I'm not throwing a tantrum. It's just..."

Think fast, Vaughn.

"It's just I've been getting texts asking if I was still coming or not, that's all."

Uncle Shawn nodded, but Uncle Kev just glared at me.

"I'm going to the restroom, I'll be back," Uncle Shawn said, standing.

As soon as he was out of sight, Uncle Kev turned his attention to me.

"Why are you giving Shawn a hard time?"

"What? All I did was ask to go out. Honestly if my parents said yes to it, there's nothing he could..."

He held up his hand.

"Don't start that shit. Your parents allowed you start training at 16. Lucky you. Don't sit here and throw that shit in Shawn's face insinuating he has no say in what you do. You've been here for a year, in his care. Your parents respect and trust his decisions."

"I know."

"Then why all this attitude. He said he'd give you an answer and whether it's the answer you want or not, so be it. He has the final say. Don't sit here and make it seem like your parents wouldn't agree with him. We all pretty much operate the same. I think you dad has gone soft when it comes to discipline, especially with you."

"I didn't even do anything!"

"Hey! Lower your damn tone when speaking to me, Vaughn," he countered.

I rolled my eyes and Uncle Shawn came back to the table, taking his seat.

"Everything alright?" he questioned, looking between me and Uncle Kev.

I nodded and Uncle Kev just took a sip of his drink.

"You can go hang out with your friends and I'll pick you up at 10:30," Uncle Shawn added.

"Um, I was going to get one of the rooks to drop me off or I could ask Asher."

He raised his brow.

"You don't need anyone to pick you up because I told you I would. We'll drop you off and that'll give you enough time to hang out with your friends. It's just 7:30 now. By the time we get there that'll give you more thank enough time."

"But..."

"Take it or leave it."

We finished dinner and he and Uncle Kev dropped me off. I was surprised to see Asher was here. I didn't know he was coming. He instantly came over once he noticed me.

"Hey, V,"

"Uh, hey, Ash."

He looked me up and down.

"What's wrong?"

"Um, nothing."

"Only time you say uh and um is when you're hiding something. Come on, what's up?"