Tightrope

|Tyler's POV|

Brandon thought it'd be best that he drive to my parents house so we could say goodbye to Teagan. I felt like as a doctor, I should've picked up more on the signs, especially since we've been down this road before. I'm trying to be the best father and husband I can be, but I can't neglect the rest of my family along the way.

"What's on your mind, bro?" Brandon asked, glancing over at me.

"Maybe I could've prevented this."

He shook his head.

"Don't do that to yourself, man."

"How can I not, Brandon? I'm a damn doctor. I should've picked up on the signs...."

"Even if you would have, it's no guarantee you would've stopped anything. Unfortunately, Teagan had a relapse. Right now, we're doing what we can now that we're aware. Our support is what she needs. Don't guilt trip yourself over something that was out of your control."

He had a point.

"Ty, look man. I know you want to be there for everyone, but in doing so you spread yourself too thin. You have a wife and kids that are your top priority. All of us understand that. Hell, I have a girl and kid to worry about myself."

"If only it were that easy," I mumbled.

"Trust me, I know it's not. Still, if there's anything I learned from our dads is that you take care of home, no outside noise. You're juggling a lot right now. Focus on that. Teagan will be good. We have to have faith in that."

"I hear you."

Nothing else was said the remainder of the way to my parents house.

"My parents are here," Brandon commented as we got out.

Going inside I was greeted by my dad.

"Hey, dad," I said, quietly.

"Hey, Uncle Damien."

He hugged the both of us, thanking us for coming over.

"Teagan is in the living room. She was hoping to see the both of you," he said.

Brandon and I went in the living room to see Teagan laying on my mom's lap as Aunt Stella was holding her hand. Her tear stained face stopped me in my tracks. I can't even imagine how she's feeling right now. More importantly, I want to know how she got off track. She was doing so well. Then it dawned on me. She had a new boyfriend, Connor. Not to say that we didn't like him, but something about him just didn't sit right with me.

I felt a nudge to my arm. It was Brandon. My mom was talking to me and I hadn't even noticed. I was spaced out.

"I'm sorry mom, what did you say?"

"I said, we'll give you three some time alone," she replied, standing.

Brandon took his mom's spot next to Teagan as I took my moms. Teagan had sat up and was trying to wipe away her tears.

"Hey, don't keep your emotions bottled in. It's okay to cry in front of us," Brandon stated.

"I know, I know. That's what everyone keeps saying. I just feel weak right now."

"It''s alright. We're all here to support you," I stated.

"You're not mad at me?"

She sounded like she was 3 all over again, knocking over my toys.

"No, I'm not mad at you, Teags. I just want to help you in any way that I can. It seems as though you're ready to help yourself. That's very important to this process."