Rebuilding

|Zach's POV|

The few weeks back home in Connecticut was a relief. I postponed my 6-week appointment until I got back to Kansas City. I expressed to my doctor what was going on and he said as long as I had no discomfort, I could reschedule when I was got back in town.

Bash came to visit and got the guys to come in town as well. My parents went down to Florida for the weekend, leaving the house to us. It was great having my friends and I was able to be vulnerable without any judgment. Although I had seen them right after my surgery, knowing they'd drop what they were doing just for me, I really appreciated it. I didn't have any blood brothers, but blood couldn't make us any closer even after all these years.

3 weeks I went without seeing Kylie. The first week we barely spoke. It's not as if she didn't reach out, that was more on me. The second week, my parents got on me about shutting her out. Although I was upset she distanced herself from me, doing the same to her wasn't fair.

I had just finished my therapy session. My dad was waiting outside for me. When I got in the car, he glared at me. Damn, what did I do?

"Hey, dad," I greeted.

"Hey. How was your session?"

"It was good."

"Mmm."

He didn't say anything else as we drove home in semi-silence.

"I spoke to Kylie today," he said, halfway through our drive home.

"You did?"

"Yeah, she was calling to check on you. When was the last time you spoke to her?"

"I text her."

"Zachary, you know what I mean."

"We haven't really spoken. Aside from text messages, I've been giving her what she wants, space."

He sighed.

"Son, you know why she wanted space. You have every right to feel how you feel, but own up to your shit. If you're angry she left, fine, but express that to her. Don't shut her out. That's the last thing either of you need. Her leaving, you not speaking because she left. You need to find a common ground and move on."

"You make it sound so easy."

"It's not as difficult as you think it is. You love her, don't you?"

"With everything in me. I just want to be a better partner to her and talk to her when I'm less angry."

"Then communicate that with her. She's about to be your wife. Honestly, the two of you should go into counseling."

"That's what my therapist said," I mumbled.

"Hey, it's normal. No relationship is perfect. My marriage isn't perfect. There's a lot of ups and downs. You have the power to control the trajectory and how you bounce back from those downs. Don't let this situation destroy what the two of you have built over the years."

I took in everything he was saying for the remainder of the car ride. When I got home and settled, I gave her a call. She answered after a couple of rings.

Hey babe.

I couldn't help but smile as her face filled the screen.

Hey, beautiful. How are you?

I'm doing alright. I should be asking you that. I uh, I called your parents to check on you. They said you were doing fine.

I am. Sorry I've been in my bubble this past week. I didn't want to lash out on you for leaving.