Finish Line

|Vaughn's POV|

Today is the day I finally graduate from high school and by Summer's end I'll be 18 and taking off to Japan in the fall.

My childhood home is packed with family at the moment. I've barely been here in the past 2 years, but of course everyone came to town for my graduation. My family has always been huge and now it's even bigger. Clearly I didn't get enough tickets for everyone to have a physical seat at my graduation, but the cheering section could care less.

Only one thing is missing, Asher.

When everything went down with Luna, I gave him a call. I mean, she said some shit that rubbed me the wrong way. Playing on my insecurities, I was bringing truth to her words while my gut was telling me no way Asher would treat me like that.

-

|Flashback|

Hello.

Hey, Vaughn.

You sound tired.

Didn't sleep all that great. How are you?

I'm alright. I was going to text and see when would be a good time to call you.

What's on your mind?

Just some bullshit Luna said.

You're still hanging out with her?

She called and asked to go to dinner. That was the extent of it.

Mmm. What fuck shit did she say about me this time?

What makes you think....

It's what she does. She's still mad I didn't want to date her. Now here I am with you and at the same time my wrestling career is excelling.

Zach says she's jealous.

Of course she is. What exactly did she say to you, V?

She said I could help her how I helped you. You'd be in Japan fucking whoever. You just used me all this time to get what she wanted.

I've never used you, Vaughn.

I know, Ash.

The tone in your voice doesn't sound too convincing.

It's not that.

Then what the hell is it? You believing the shit she said?

Ash, calm down and listen to me please.

Alright, fine.

I won't lie and say what she said didn't rub me the wrong way. I don't just view you as my friend and we've talked about making our relationship official. I just... I've never been in love before and I get defensive, apprehensive, and insecure when topics involving you are brought up.

If being in a relationship at any point in time is putting to much pressure or you or has you second guessing, we don't have to go to that level. I'm fine just being your friend. Of course I'd love to see where at relationship can go between us, but our friendship is more important than anything. Everything else is just a bonus.

Ash...

I know and you don't have to make a decision right now. Whatever you choose, I'm cool with it.

I want to be with you. I want a relationship just as much as you do. I'm just scared, okay?! Me venting to you about it and being upfront about my feelings doesn't mean I don't want to be with you.