Dead End

|Zach's POV|

This season has been off to a great start, but you know there's always something or someone to come in and fuck shit up. My sisters having people come at them is one thing, but I have problems of my own.

I haven't really talked to my family about it. I've been fighting an injury not even Kylie knows about. I know my dad is dealing with the situation in Texas and having some days off will help me rest up. My quad and knee have been killing me. I'm playing  through the pain, but I know I'm going to need to do something about it before it gets worse.

I woke up, groaning, heading to practice. Last thing I need is to sit out. I fucked up last season with the DUI and had to sit out 4 games for suspension. Now to have an injury that can have me sit out some more?

"Babe, you okay?" Kylie asked, coming out the bathroom.

"Yeah babe, I'm good. Just a little sore."

I was never one to complain about the sport I play and it was rare anyone knew I was hurt. I just always had the mentality to fight through it.

"Zach, you're not okay. I can see the pain all over your face. What's going on?"

"Kylie, I told you, I'm sore."

"Where?"

As much as I didn't want her to worry, I couldn't hide shit from her. She could always tell when something was off with me as I could with her.

"Where is the pain, Zach?"

"My quad and my knee. It's nothing babe."

She frowned.

"That's not nothing. You got hit pretty hard a few games ago. Did you tell your coach about this?"

I shook my head.

"This is nothing I can't play through. Last thing I need is to be sitting out."

"Yeah, but if it's getting worst, you'll be out for the rest of the season and not just a few games. You can't ignore what your body is trying to tell you."

"I just don't want to mess this up. I already sat out last season for 4 games. I just renegotiated my contract. You know what an injury can do? It puts me on the shelf, possibly indefinitely and my stock goes down."

She came and sat next to me, wrapping her arm around me.

"I know you would rather just fight through it, but if you get hurt out there..."

"It's a lose, lose either way. A few games or the rest of the season, I'm hurt."

"What time is your practice?" she asked.

"In a couple of hours. Then we fly out Thursday morning for the game."

"I'll be there."

"I know you will. I appreciate you coming to the away games, babe. You don't have to."

"I know I don't have to, but I want to. I'll have your bag ready for us to head to Texas after so you can check in on Izzy and Jamie. I know that's bothering you too."

"Hell yeah. That's the only thing about this. For 7 months out the year, it's all football. I talk to all of them regularly, but it's not the same. I feel like I'm missing moments."

"I'm sure your dad and uncles can relate. Look at how much they were on the road. Plus, you show up whenever you can and your family comes to the games pretty often. I don't know how your parents do it, but they manage to be there for all 6 of you, equally. If it's not one, it's the other. Lucky for you, you don't just have Mr. Paul and Ms. Stephanie. You have Ms. Nicole and Mr. Rob now too."