Long Road Ahead

|Zach's POV|

I contemplated whether or not I should go home to my parents. Being here, alone, I felt suffocated. I was lost. I knew I wouldn't get better staying in this bed. I booked a late flight, packed my bag, and headed to the airport. As I was waiting for my flight, I got a FaceTime call from Kylie. I pulled out my headphones to answer her call.

Hello.

Hey, just wanted to let you know I landed. I'm on my way to Kenzie's now.

Glad you made it safe.

You alright?

I will be.

An announcement went over the intercom.

You're at the airport? Where are you going?

Home.

When did you decide on that?

Spur of the moment. My flight is about to board soon, I'll talk to you later.

Aright. Love you.

Yeah. Love you, too.

I hung up. It's not that I didn't want to speak to her, I just didn't feel like talking to anyone at the moment. The flight wasn't too bad and the staff was very helpful in making sure I was comfortable in first class with this bum knee. They had a wheel chair waiting for me when we landed and I was able to get off first. I kept my hoodie over my head.

The car ride to my parents was another hour. Halfway there, it started pouring. I knew the code to get in the gate knowing my dad had set the alarm. The driver helped me with my crutches and my bags. I turned my phone off, not wanting to deal with anyone for the next few days. That included my fiancée.

I stood in the rain for a little bit, crying my eyes out. I've never felt this low in my life. I've been through a lot of shit and I felt like now everything was really falling a part. It started to click for me that I've never really dealt with my shit. I've gone to therapy. Hell, that's how my mother and I rebuilt our relationship. Still, it's always been a band aid for me in a sense. Like I felt better and decided I didn't need it anymore. That was a lie.

Pulling myself together, I finally rang the doorbell. I waited a couple of minutes before I heard the lock turn. The light in the foyer was on which was a huge contrast to the darkness I felt had been looming over me for a month now.

There stood my dad. The man that has had my back from the moment I met him. He was tough on me, but I knew he meant well. The influence he's had on me over the years is something I wouldn't trade for the world. This man changed my life. I wouldn't be where I am without him.

"Zach..."

I opened my mouth looking for the right words to say. I felt the anxiety building inside of me. My emotions were about to take over again.

"Dad, I need help."

I saw his face change as he immediately pulled me into a hug, not caring I was drenched. I instantly started sobbing.

"I got you son, it's alright. Everything will be alright."

I clung to him like a child. Here I was a 24 year old man running home to my dad. What a punk.

"Come on, son. Let's get you inside and into some dry clothes. Can't have you injured and sick."

I knew he was trying to lighten the mood. The elevator in the home that we barely used was a lifesaver because it was going to be a hassle for me to get upstairs. I went to my childhood room. All I wanted to do was sleep.