Tough Recovery

|Zach's POV|

It's been a month since my surgery. I wish I could say I was getting better, but I was depressed as hell. My boys came to visit. My family has popped up. Still I was upset. One month down, at least 9 to go.

This upcoming year is huge for me. Aside from getting back on the field, I'm marrying the love of my life. Last thing I want is to be hobbling down the isle. We had a date for the Spring, but shifted to early Summer instead. I want to get married before the season starts so whatever I have to do to get better, that's what I'll have to do.

Aside from random pop ups this past month, my family checks in daily whether it's a text or a call. My parents FaceTime me daily. Uncle Kev is on my ass. Rob got in touch with my docs to see what I can do. Dad wants me to go see the physical therapists in Alabama that helps with recoveries like mine.

I've had wrestlers and fellow players reach out with similar injuries telling me to take it easy and not rush back. My dad and uncles have been telling me the same thing. I appreciate all the support. Recovery so far has just been a bitch. I feel helpless and I hate depending on people for basic shit.

I was laying in bed, my new favorite spot, when Kylie came in. She looked tired. I knew I was affecting her mood and not in a good way. Just the night before we got into a fight. First time since we've been living together that we didn't sleep in the same room. I was in a bad place last night. I know if my dad, Rob, my uncles or even my boys got wind of what went down, that's my ass.

|Flashback|

Kylie went out for the day to run errands and then to dinner with her friends. She had asked did I need her to stay home, but she had her life to live. My injury shouldn't stop her. Before she left, she ordered me out of bed and to the couch. She told me there was food in the fridge and went on her way.

I swear my phone was going off every hour with someone in my family calling or texting. I just sat it on the coffee table. I could really use a drink right now.

I grabbed my crutches and went to our liquor cabinet. Most of it had been replaced with wine. There was one single bottle of tequila, Teramana to be exact, tucked in the back. I grabbed the shot glass and poured me some, taking it to the head.

I had tossed back a few more, taking the bottle with me back to the living room. I was laying on the couch, the TV watching me, when I heard my name being called. Kylie was home. She came into the living room and gave me her signature smile. Once she saw the bottle, her mood instantly changed.

"Zachary, what are you doing?"

I scoffed at her comment.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm sitting here."

She dropped her purse on the couch, grabbing the bottle off the table.

"You said no more alcohol."

"Kylie, I'm home, I'm not driving. A couple shots won't hurt."

I went to stand up and take the bottle from her, but she stepped back. I grabbed my crutches and moved towards her.

"I didn't stop you from having fun with your friend today, leave me alone."

She looked at me like I was crazy.

"Yeah, I'm not doing this with you."

She moved to the kitchen and I was right behind her. She went to the sink to pour out the bottle and I snatched it out her hand.

"What the fuck are you doing? You're acting like I can't hold my liquor. I had a few shots. What's the big deal?"

She just glared at me.