eighty-three: sundowning

chapter eighty-threesundowning

sundowning

━━━━༺❀༻━━━━

Eight-year-old Kennedy held onto a man's hand, a stuffed bunny in her arms. Next to her, was a woman.

Present day Kennedy followed her younger self and the strange woman into the boy's locker room. Young Kennedy's big hazel eyes looked at the boy on the shower floor. Present Kennedy paused, looking at the familiar face. When the boy looked up, his eyes were their werewolf electric blue, and his fangs were bared. It was Derek Hale. Young Kennedy shrunk back in fear, but the woman comfortingly rubbed her back. The man turned off the water as the woman grabbed Derek by his shirt. Both Kennedy's watched as this strange woman lifts Derek with a simple tug. Her eyes turn red, and instantly Derek's eyes turn back to their normal green.

Who were these people? Why were they with Kennedy and Derek? Why was Kennedy with Derek at all? She barely knew him before Scott was turned, she thought as she looked around in confusion.

"I thought," The young Derek breathed heavily, catching present Kennedy's attention. "I thought I could control it."

The man looked at young Derek with a ferocious look. "All this risk? Just for a basketball game?"

Derek shook his head. "It's the finals. They need me."

The young Hale pushed by. The woman scoffed. "To do what, exactly?" Kennedy turns as she watches Derek stumble onto the lockers. Her younger self held onto the stuffed bunny tightly. "Rip someone's throat out on the court?"

"Even born wolves have to learn control on a full moon, Derek." The man said, standing next to the woman. Kennedy looked at them. She knew them, but how? Who were these people and why couldn't she remember who they were?

"Yeah, but it's supposed to be easier for us, why does it hurt like this?" Derek snaps, looking up at them both. Young Kennedy held on tighter to her stuffed bunny. Present Kennedy looked at herself and the adults in confusion. Why did these people bring her along? Kennedy was only eight, and she definitely didn't know anything about the supernatural.

The man walked over. "Did you bring it?"

"It's not working-"

The man cut Derek off. "Did you bring it?" Derek breathed heavily as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out an object. It had a triskele symbol. The Stallard sucked in a breath. She had a necklace with that same symbol. "Go ahead."

Panting, Derek looks up at the couple. "I told you, it's not working."

The woman slams her hand on the locker, her claws scratching at the metal. "Do it!" She shouted. Older Kennedy flinched at the volume, looking over.