eighty-four: relics

chapter eighty-fourrelics

chapter eighty-four
relics

━━━━༺❀༻━━━━

Kennedy stared at her reflection. She stared at it, stared at it, and stared at it.

She was sitting in front of her full body mirror, her legs crossed and her hands in her lap. She blinked. She blinked again. Kennedy clenched her hands into fists. Her toes curl and her nose flares.

Kennedy isn't looking at herself. She's not even staring at her room around her. No, she's staring at the two faceless figures in the mirror behind her. They weren't really there, but she had no other way to see them, to talk to them. Or rather, to listen to them.

"You're my daughter, Bunny. Everything I do is for you,"

The man's voice was unfamiliar, yet relaxed her in a way nothing ever did anymore. The nickname Bunny didn't make sense to her. But she wanted to know. She had to know.

"My last breath was me praying you would be saved. And you were."

The woman's voice was softer. Kinder than the man. She was comforting and loving. Kennedy felt like she wanted to cry. She wanted to see their faces, their eyes. But there was nothing there.

"Apologize. Say that you're sorry for decimating my family, for leaving me burned and broken for six years. Apologize for taking away my little girl! Apologize for killing my daughter's mother!"

Kennedy gasped as they started screaming. The woman ignited into flames and the man started screaming about a little girl and her mother. Tears rolled down her face and her ears began to ring. Her head was pounding. Aching to explode before Kennedy finally just screamed.

The mirror shattered and books fell off of Kennedy's desk. Silence suddenly surrounded her. Her heartbeat in her ears was the only thing. She breathed heavily, looking around her.

The door swung open, Danielle Tyler looking at her with wide eyes. "Are you okay?" She asked with worry.

Kennedy looked around her room, seeing the faceless figures gone. "Yeah, I'm fine." She mumbled softly.

Danielle craned her neck to see the shattered mirror in front of the girl with red hair. "Are you sure?" Danielle walked further into the room. Kennedy turned to look at her shattered reflection, frowning as she did. "What did you do? Punch it?"

The auburn-haired girl slowly shook her head, staring. "I didn't touch it." She whispered. Danielle's brows raised even higher as she leaned toward the shattered mirror. She stood up straight, looking at the books that had been flung off the desk. Kennedy hadn't done that either.

"Huh," Danielle clicked her tongue in thought as she looked around the room. "What did happen?"

Kennedy tried to explain. She really did. But it's really hard to explain how there are faceless people tormenting you. The visions of a boy you know you love but can't remember are haunting. Knowing someone is missing. People are missing. And yet, you can't do anything to fix it.