𝟏𝟕 | 𝐀 𝐃𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐆𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

~ Love ~ Nathan Wagner

*

MESS HALLS

Having a child within our ranks was not our usual daily job, or more different to the survey corps. Many odd stares were placed upon little Klara, while she chews her food like she hasn't eaten at all. She was indeed skinny and pale, hoping to get some sun on her and well nourished. Just watching her, pained me so much. The suffering she endured, being all alone and vulnerable.

Cursing myself for not helping her sooner, I was just thankful I found a couple that was happy and obliged to take in Klara.

They struggled with infertility, unable to have children and they grew depressed about it. They were old customers of my mother years ago, so it was easy to know who to find instantly. Within a weeks time, she will be living with them. Right now I must nourish and keep the child healthy, and get some sun on her.

"She's such a pretty thing," Lena coos softly, while chewing on her bread. The atmosphere was rather quiet, but enough to still be lively at the same time. The sounds of utensils and cups, clanking in the background.

Humming in agreement, I tuck a stray blonde piece of hair behind her ear.

"Yeah she is," my eyes tenderly gaze upon the child, seeing how tiny and easy it was with her.

Soon she pauses while chewing with her chubby cheek bulging either side, big bright green eyes gazing into my own. She soon swallows thickly, before passing me her half of bread making my eyes widen in alarm. Shaking my head, "No it's fine, this is all yours," I assure her gently, not wanting to take something she barely has had.

"But........what about you?"

That's right, I gave her two piece of bread to her which was actually my bread. I barely got hungry so I'm alright, and tea was enough to keep me going.

"I'm okay, I've got some herbal tea," assuring the cute blonde, she hesitates for a moment with a small pout against her tiny lips.

Lena's head perks up, a look of concern flickers behind her eyes.

"Actually your neck........what happened there, it's rather purple and dark like splotches," she gestures to her neck, while my fingertips tenderly drift to my neck. "Is everything okay?"

Nodding with a grim look, I soon change back to admiring the child.

"Yeah, anyway she will be bunking with us, but right after this she needs some sleep," I wipe a crumb from her chubby cheek, before seeing Levi walking over. Tea in hand, with a loaf in the other. "Levi.....may I help you?..."

His cold steel gaze, made me feel a little uneasy when he's unreadable.

"Meet me in my office, I need to speak with you after," He sternly instructs, making me blink a few times with curiosity. The look within his eyes meant something, that Klara couldn't be part of. Nodding slowly with a firm 'yes', he sat down beside me and ate quietly.

"Mister?"

Levi turns to the child slowly, as Klara gazes up to him.

He clears his throat, "Hmm, what is it?"

"Did you......live where I did, the underground?" She questions, with her voice tiny and a little unsure.

My eyes drift over to meet with Levi's soft gaze, before he nods in response.

"I did.........but, I live here now,"

"Is it....becwause......of Akiwa?" She questions again.

My cheeks nervously burn in response to this, but when gazing back to Levi he remained nonchalant and unfazed.