𝟓𝟔 | 𝐆𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

*

THE BARRACKS

Walking down the hallways down towards the barracks, towards the back, I finally see my recruits all preparing to disperse to the secret location. We needed to keep Eren and Historia safe, at all costs and to ensure humanity's safety as well. Walking down the flight of stairs, I finally reach their level as Jean hoists a heavy sack of grain on his shoulders. Their faces were solemn, but masked with their distraction. 

These young recruits still needed more training, and experience to prepare them for the outside world. Finding myself slowly reminiscing back to training these kids, I longed to see the ones that had also fallen since then. They didn't deserve to live short lives, but I was grateful that I sketched portraits before I forgot their faces. That settling guilt would just continue to eat at me, if I forgotten them.

"Corporal.....?"

Snapping back to reality Sasha stood in front of me, along with Connie who seems to be helping them out with packing for their next destination, and mission. It wasn't anything heavy to learn, but it was just something to keep them out of harm's way for now.

"How are all of you going?" I ask softly, wanting to see if anyone was alright, especially after what just went up a few days ago. "How's Mikasa? Is her ribs alright?"

Sasha nods, "She's managing, she's starting to walk around for a bit," She informs me. "Do you want to see he--"

Shaking my head, I fold my arms.

"No need, let her rest for now........." shifting my focus on the children. ".........Sasha, thanks for remaining calm and composed......I heard great things from Hanji, a few officers."

Her eyes widen, before sheepishly scratching the back of her neck.

"It was nothing....." She brushes it off, though I heard she saved a child at least. It seems the people she went to aid, all fled to safety only remaining one deceased woman. It seems only Ragako was wiped out completely, which left Connie homeless. 

"Oi! Move your dumbass!!" 

My head snaps in the direction, before seeing both Eren and Jean at each other's throats again, as usual. It gave me warm memories where they started out, knowing it's better this way than to have nothing but silence and the atmosphere melancholy. A soft smile subconsciously drifts to my lips, while leaning against the beam beside me. A contented sigh draws from me, before thinking about what the royal government might think, as we kept Eren forcefully.

Grimacing by just even thinking about it, disgusted me. 

"Alright! You two knock it off!" I warn the two, with a light chuckle following after. They both freeze on the spot, seeing them turn to me. "The faster you get things prepared, the sooner you can head off!"

I wasn't prepared what was to follow, as Jean's eyes widen with relief.

"Corporal! You're awake!" he exclaims, in surprise. "Are you feeling okay? Should you even be stand--"

"I'm okay Jean, no need to be concerned," I ensure him. "I'm stronger than you think I am, and I just got back from my investigation. So, too late to order me to rest, right?"

I noticed Eren looked rather uneasy when his eyes meet mine, before averting them away finding interest in a few crates nearby. He simply walked over and began loading the wagon up, without saying another word, keeping himself distracted. Jean clicks his teeth with a grunt at Eren, before walking away. 

"Yes,"

With a deep exhale I turn to the kids, "Anyway, hurry this up....." I usher them, knowing they must start heading off to the safe location for them. More specifically for Eren and Historia, being two major targets. ".....the Captain and I will be there by tomorrow, so I expect the place to be tidy and clean....hmm?"