𝟏 | 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬

*

YEAR 839 - CADET CORPS - TROST

Slamming my opponent to the ground, a heavy grunt from the impact catches in their throat.

Pressing my palm against their throat, my foot pinned their torso down with a forceful grip. Breathing heavily through our noses, the intense fight become of a close with a light smirk curling upon my lips. Sweat aligns my temple, glistening under the visible warm sun. Winter was already coming in, but training did work a sweat.

"Great Yamasaki, very strong as always!!!"

Releasing my comrade all at once, I took a step back lending them a hand, "Good match," I acknowledge softly, before apologising for their battered wounds. My comrade nods also acknowledging our fair fight, before taking my hand.

Three years have flown by so quickly, with intense training and learning more skills than when what I've learned in Shiganshina. Three whole years since my father has seen me, since his abuse was becoming out of control. His words stung, and he never once cared. The only people I missed was Renji, who must be at least twelve years of age and little Mei must be three.

I hope mother is alright?

"Oi, Yamasaki!" the Commandant calls, ushering me over. "Did you hear....?!"

Dusting my hands on my pants, I jog a few steps towards him.

"Hmm, what?"

He smirks, "I've heard Renji Yamasaki will be joined the new cadet corps, after you graduate," he informs me, causing me to pause. Chills ran up my spine, as if everything paused.

"What? How do you know?"

He folds his arms, "It seems you've got blood of a warrior within ya, you're quite skilled so I assume your brother will be," he assumes, nudging my arm playfully as if he's gonna have the honour training us.

Mother never mentioned this in her letters, so why would he be joining?

Shaking my head, "He shouldn't be joining......so why would he--?"

Cutting myself off I could comprehend how I felt about it, as I swore to mother I'll only become a soldier for our family. Wait, what regiment is he gonna join, if he signs up? What is his reason?

"Oh that reminds me," The Commandant spoke up, breaking the silence. He rummages through his pocket before a letter was in hand. "I've been given a notice that you are needed back to Shiganshina......and one of the Scouts will escort you there."

Surprised, I peel open the crisp white letter, my eyes scanning across the delicate cursive writing. Taking in who sent this to me, I easily recognised her beautiful hand writing. Soon my eyes fall upon a phrase, that left me standing there speechless.

"It's.......my birthday?" I question, taken back at the fact that I've forgotten my own age for a second. It was my sixteenth birthday. Raking my fingers through my messy strands of hair, my eyes were slightly wide. "Sir........what's the date tomorrow?"

He lifts his head, "Hmm......I'm assuming the fifteenth...why?"

Taken back by how much time I consumed myself into my training, I never really counted the days.

"I'm needed at home for something tomorrow, it's urgent," I inform him, remembering mother told me she's doing something for my sixteenth birthday. "I'm sorry about this, I forgot--"

"Hey, how come she'll get to go home?!" one of my comrades calls me out, overhearing the conversation.

The Commandant arches an eyebrow, turning to the young cadet, "I'm the commander, I give the orders.......and Yamasaki has every right to be go home," he sternly informs him, which sent chills down to my fingertips. Shifting his glasses he turns back to me, "Besides.....she has enough scores to have at least three days to be spared, two to travel and one day to rest....."