𝟕𝟓 | 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬

*

THREE WEEKS LATER

"Sasha, have you got the duvets?" I call back over my shoulder, while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "We need them now, it's gonna get cold!!!"

Within moments I hear her crash into something, as I grimaced closing one eye before peaking around the corner cautiously. Seeing a pile of duvets, Sasha laid beneath the mess while her body loosens in defeat.

Arching an eyebrow, "You good?" I chuckle softly, while still waiting for her response.

She pokes her hand out of the pile, with the thumbs up.

"Got 'em!!!!"

Chuckling softly, "Alright, I'll head on first.........come when you're ready to," I assure her, while heading upstairs to the second floor of the orphanage.

A few weeks has past since we've begun the project on the orphanage, and so far so good we've managed to complete it within two weeks. Made from scratch from an older building, it gave us more time to collect the orphans. Clearly it was gonna be a hard task, searching for any child that is alone. 

Thankfully, we seeked out an old house beneath the underground, where a few children stayed in. Though Historia was more persistent finding any lost child, it made our goal more possible to a success.

Hard it was for them to trust us, we've gained their compliance and brought them up to the surface. Since then, I've been maintaining the orphanage for at least about a week. Trying to find at least three people to manage the place, I took the responsibility and brought them under my wing for now.

With Historia busy as the Queen most days, I thought it would bring her ease. Especially with her still learning the ways of becoming a Queen, and the rules and maintaining her reputation. Clearly she only wanted to become Queen to create a system for lost children, who were in need of a home. Using the royal's family budget, and with the assets needed was seized from politicians to keep this place going.

"Akiwa!!!!!"

Glancing over my shoulder my eyes shift lower, to see one of the little boys looking teary eyed.

Swiftly I place the rest of the duvets upon the table beside me, and bent down cupping his redden cheeks with worry. Smearing away the tears away, he sniffles quietly while I searching in his glassy brown eyes.

"What's the matter Dieter, hmm?" I hum softly, brushing a few strands of hair from his eyes. "Dinner will be soon, okay? Big sister Sasha and I are just grabbing you some bedding to--"

"Please stay?" he pleads, while tugging on my sleeve in a needy way. 

Surprised for a moment, a warm tender smile surfaces upon my face gracefully with a nod.

"Okay, how about you help me?" I suggest softly, patting his soft and clean hair. "I need an extra pair of hands anyway, and I know you will be good at it!"

Clearly all I could do was comfort the eight year old, and keeping him distracted with small chores would help too.

This reminded me too much of younger sister Mei, especially when she used to help me around from time to time. Missing those precious with her, made my chest ache the more I dwelled on it. Sometimes I wished to restart my life, and do things differently just so I know what would happen and take away that horrifying path for her.

"Okay," he wipes his teary eyes, before I pass him two pillows.

"There, now how about we start making some beds up for the new kids?" I hum softly, before seeing his eyes slowly light up. "I bet you might make a new friend with this group, so let's give them a warm bed.......shall we?"