𝟐 | 𝐆𝐥𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐨𝐦

~ It Has Begun ~ Starset

TWO WEEKS LATER - WITHIN WALL ROSE

***************

Standing firm among all other soldiers, my eyes remain forward while the torches flicker on either side of the podium before us. The air grew colder and colder by the minute, but our bodies remain standing. My hands rest behind against my lower back, head tilted up facing our Commander.

Keith Shadis, our current Scout Commander.

His piercing brown eyes scan across the large crowd of cadets, as tonight is the very night we graduate. A heavy silence weighs around us all, hearing people muttering and whispering improper judgement upon our current Commander.

"Good evening, as some might know or not I am Keith Shadis, Commander of the Survey Corps!" He announces, causing everyone to quieten down. His eyes were the most intimidating pair since I've joined, but I'm gained his respect by a few visits since.

"Also known as the Scout regiment, and today is the very day you will choose your regiment!" he continues on, allowing it to process in everyone's minds. Sinking in, I've already chosen my path already. "There aren't many scouts nowadays, but we are kindly asking for many willing soldier's to choose the scouts, thus making it further in exterminating the titans.....therefore....."

I notice hesitation flicker in his eyes, sensing something causing a stir within him.

".....knowing mostly everyone here, you are scared to even lay your life down for humanity," his eyes harden, blinking in surprise this sudden accusation. Yet I noticed he was directly implying this towards some soldiers, whom were scared at wits end. "This decision will affect your life, and status......yet I'm not here to force you upon any regiment, but your own choice!"

He falls silent causing everyone around me to murmur, commenting and scoffing.

Skeptically gazing back up to Commander Shadis, I questioned his own motives right now. He expressed his choice of words sincerely, and even when the lights of the flames flicker across his face he looked exceptionally sincere.

"Now those who've decided to join other regiments, may be dismissed!!!"

In that very moment many soldier's start walking by me, one by one while their boots heavily trudged by me. My eyes remain forward, not giving another second thought in mind. Not me, I want to provide some leverage to ease the worry among the walls, especially when many live in poverty and suffering because of the titans.

Soon everything fell silent, while my eyes scan around seeing only a few soldiers standing.

Keith Shadis smirks slightly, folding his arms.

"I see.........for those who have stayed, allow me to welcome you to the Scout Regiment. This is a genuine salute, soldiers! Together, we give our hearts!"

We all salute him thumping our right fists against our left side.

"Sir!!!!!!"

Yet peering at the corner of my eyes, there he was. Standing there smugly, his eyes attached to my own. I'm starting to hate him more, than ever before.

Peter Walsh.....that bastard...

**********

{Year 840 ~ Within Survey Corps quarters}

Slipping on my belts and clips, I adjust my thigh straps for a moment when a knock sounded in my ears. Lifting my head my eyes glare upon the door, wondering who it could be. Shaking my head I fix my strap before walking over, I open the door with a soft click noticing her.