𝟒𝟓 | 𝐔𝐭𝐠𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐥𝐞

*

(5 hours before) UTGARD CASTLE - Akira's pov:

The castle was quiet, and so still, that not a soul was in sight.

Given the chance to get the kids to rest up, and take a break after an enduring day of warning and travelling, I couldn't sit down. My body wouldn't let me, and that's because I could feel my stomach churning. Something wasn't right, feeling a chill run up my spine.

With one of the recruits and skilled soldier prepares water, and food for the horses, Gelgar and Lynne guide the rest inside to scout the place. However when walking in, I noticed an old small campfire. Bending down placing my weight on one knee, my thumb and index finger pinch a small piece of coal, staining my skin.

"Hmm.......fresh," murmuring to myself, I could only assume bandits were here. 

Smearing the coal against my jacket, I follow suit inside hearing everyone chatting echoing up the castle. The place was enormous inside, but it didn't seem that way on the outside. No matter, it's sustainable for us. Making my way upstairs, I follow the sounds before reaching the next level where everyone was nestled down. The smell inside was musky, and I bet even moss has grown within these ruins. 

The stench burns my nose for a moment, before it settles down in the next room.

"Corporal, everything okay?" Lynne asks softly, before giving her a warm smile.

"Yeah, just scouting around," I assure her, placing another torch on the side for some light. The rooms was hollow and cold, but we only needed a few hours of rest before we could head back.

"Hey, take a look at what I just stumbled on," Gelgar walks from a room, with a bottle of some kind of alcohol. 

"You're kidding? Is that what I think it is?" Lynne questions.

"Uh-huh, can't really read the label, though," He admits, while twisting and turning for any sign of what kind of beverage it was.

"Don't drink on the job now, Gelgar," I lightly scold, leaning against the wall behind Nanaba and Henning. "Seriously, you need to be cautious. Who knows what we might have to do deal with, if you're drunk on the job....hmm?"

He pouts, "Oh come on, I'm gonna save it for later,"

Henning chuckles, "You know, there are worse ways to spend a night, than having access to a top-shelf contraband,"

"Careful, you're starting to sound like an outlaw," Nanaba warns him playfully, while my eyes harden. I couldn't shake the feeling about Miche, as he should be here by now. Or at least sent a message through another soldier nearby, but then again, no one knows where we even are. This castle was long forgotten, an old ruin of some sought.

Miche was a long time comrade of mine, and he became someone I've trusted and grown close too.

Knowing how hard it must be for the kids, I knew their rest would help them ease their minds abit at least. With everything that's going on, and they're defenceless, they're doing rather well than panicking. Composed and neutral they were, but I could tell by their eyes they were afraid and confused as to why titans were hunting us.

Opening my eyes slowly, "You kids need to get some rest, we've been rather pushed around all day," I spoke up, feeling their eyes drift to me. Gelgar nods in agreement, holding the liquor bottle in hand.

"There should be any titans crawling around at this time of night," He ensures their safety. "But we'll take turns keeping watch.....so be ready to leave four hours shy of daybreak."