𝟕𝟖 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐬

*

Quietly after a few hours of riding down the valley towards Wall Maria, the sun was completely gone behind the mountains. We were then greeted by the night, as the began to grow colder by the minutes that ticked by. However though I spent hours of fighting titans during the night, a few months ago at Utgard castle, it still haunted me.

I didn't want to admit such a pathetic fear, but we had nothing with a low percent of survival that very night. 

Endless titans coming from every direction, limited weapons, defending children that were defenceless and watching your comrades fall at the jaws of death. No matter how I look at it, it pained me to know that I barely just made it out. Without Ymir risking her life and exposing her secret, our lives would've definitely would've been cut short. 

"Akira..." his voice was a barely a whisper, feeling his warm hand brush against mine.

Turning to him, "Hmm?"

His calloused fingers brushed over my cold hand, before threading his fingers through giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

"You're shaking," He states, concern lacing in his nonchalant tone. 

Shaking my head, "I'm not, just cold," lying through my teeth, while keeping my eyes ahead of myself. Carefully watching where we stepped, my stomach churns in response. Though I'm experienced, it still imprinted on mind. 

"Well, you are cold," he agrees, while his thumb draws warm circles over my knuckles. Soon a heavy pause drifts between us, walking in complete and utter silence. Only the sounds of boots, our ODM gear clanking, rattling of the glowing ore lanterns were made, while I tried my best to keep myself composed and calm. 

I'm one of humanity's strongest soldiers, so I should act like one....

"...Akira--"

Levi was suddenly cut off when we hear someone collapse from behind us, startling a few horses and dropping his lantern in hand, clashing to the ground. My horse jerks for a moment, causing my hand to break away from Levi's, slowing easing her. "Easy girl, easy," my hand brushing against her neck soothingly, before coming to a halt beside Levi.

Levi clicks his teeth in irritation, "Slow down, make sure the ground is lit," Levi warns the soldier, as he quickly picks himself up along with the lantern.

"Right, sorry sir," The soldier quickly apologises, before collecting himself.

"Will we get there soon?" Levi turns to Dirk, who stood with us both. "It's just about dawn."

"Well, once we get over this mountain," Dirk pulls out a small mountain, scaled and drawn from when they mapped out a trail to Shiganshina, during the two months. "Shiganshina should be close by."

"Right, let's move forward," Levi nudges his chin forward, before we continue trailing along the pathway. Quiet our pace was, I soon felt Levi take my hand again with more assertiveness with his gesture. 

"Levi...?"

"Just....trying to warm your hand up," he quietly replies, defensively. He brought my hand to his mouth gathering both his hands, looping his arm through the reign. He blew hot air in the small dome of his hands, feeling warmth seeping into my hand. Delicately he held it, while we kept walking along the trees, "There...feel better?"

The moment his met mine, my cheeks were heating up in surprise from his sudden affection.

"Um....y-yeah," my eyes trail away, as he lowers his right hand while still grasping mine with comfort. "Thanks...."